Opinions, using Java to control the UI

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Trevor
Prole

Opinions, using Java to control the UI

Post by Trevor »

My game is coming along quite nicely and I'm constantly impressed by the quality of LOVE. The only roadblock I've encountered is the UI. LoveFrames goes a long way to solving this problem, but without any layout managers I'm stuck using absolute positioning. To help with positioning I've done as much relative positioning as possible, but it is frustrating work and I'm starting to think a more advanced GUI toolkit might be in order. What is your opinion on using Java for the UI and for launching LOVE?

Edit:
Feel free to suggest something else entirely.
ThisGoDisco
Prole

Re: Opinions, using Java to control the UI

Post by ThisGoDisco »

Hey, I'm new here had a look at your post and see you working on some sort of mortal kombat game? Pretty cool. What do you need your GUI to do exactly, are we talking a menu screen, are your configurations exceptionally complex to require some sort of full blown GUI solution?
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

It really depends on what you want to use the GUI for. Some games start by launching a GUI where you can tweak some settings, and then when you press "Play", the GUI closes and the game starts. That sort of GUI can easily be made in Java or something.

If you, on the other hand, want to use the GUI inside the game window, you need something like LoveFrames.
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Trevor wrote:What is your opinion on using Java for the UI and for launching LOVE?
Keeping everything inside the LOVE window would make for a better game experience if done well. Let's say that for some reason you need to open the UI in the middle of the game -- you can't if it's in Java.

Plus, some of us batshits don't even have/want Java installed on our systems.
vitaminx
Citizen

Post by vitaminx »

he said the 4-letter word starting with "J", ewwwwwwwwww

Seriously, there's nothing more annoying than to see Java eating up your memory and performance - guess I'm a batshit too :o: