LÖVE Formats

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
osgeld
Party member

Re: LÖVE Formats

Post by osgeld »

farvardin wrote:also to prevent people to use bmp just because it's the native format of windows paint.
well mspain does jpg and png nowdays too, so restricting bmp doesnt kill the mspain user

i do wonder why your up in arms about bmp tho ... once its loaded into memory its all raw rgb(a) no matter how its compressed on the disk, and most users will be compressing their programs in a *.love file anyway

im not sure of the extent love supports bmp, but it actually can be a more efficient file format, espically for sprites ... ie your sprite only contains 2300 colors, and single bit hard edged alpha channel, a r5g5b5a1 16 bit bmp is half of the memory used vs the same thing in a 32 bit png
Dvondrake
Prole

Post by Dvondrake »

---
Last edited by Dvondrake on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

Ok, if BMP isn't going to be supported(isn't it already?), how about supporting T(AR)GA (I'm guessing it's already supported, but).
It's a flexible format, supporting 16-bit colours, which PNG does not, although PNG supports a bunch of bit depths that TGA doesn't, and it's easier to handle than TIFF. Although it isn't compressed in itself, it does compress well within zips.

On the Wii, there's no reason not to support several formats, as FreeImage has been ported, the loaders already available in SDL has been ported with SDL.
There's also a sound library which will load MODule file formats and OGG, MP3 support can be ripped from the MPlayer port, or is already available with the SDL port.

Also, I'm expecting the Wii port would be a homebrew project, as someone else was talking about the official SDK.
If there's actually talk of doing something official, then the SDK is cheapest through a WiiWare developer contract.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!