Community Ideas

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Lord Tim
Prole

Re: Community Ideas

Post by Lord Tim »

qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

LETS PORT LÖVE TO PSP IPOD IPHONE GBA PS3 WII PANDORA GP32X!!!!!1!!1!!1!OnoneoneoN!O~!1on!noeon :shock: :shock: :shock:

Anyways, if you think this is a bunch of crap or a really gewd idea, create a page, which links to the amazon wishlist of each developer, which needs of course to contain all of the above mentioned devices.

Clarification: Make it easy for people to donate devices which they want LÖVE to be ported to.
Last edited by qubodup on Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

qubodup wrote:LETS PORT LÖVE TO PSP IPOD IPHONE GBA PS3 WII PANDORA GP32X!!!!!1!!1!!1!OnoneoneoN!O~!1on!noeon Anyways, if you think this is a bunch of crap or a really gewd idea, create a page, which links to the amazon wishlist of each developer, which needs of course to contain all of the above mentioned devices.
What? That was not clear.

Other ideas:
  • Bug tracker
  • Feature request list
  • Public "what's next" list.
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

I second what was posted above, keep your documentation the way it is and put up a wiki for the community. Your documentation and the how well it's done is a strong thing for this engine. It's very very hard to find engines with good up to date documentation. Some commercial engines don't have as good of docs that you have. Once you put *all* of the documentation in the communities hands it tends to fall apart.

I think a page for people to post projects, works in progress and demos would be cool. I like downloading love files and checking them out to see what other people are doing with the engine.
1stAnd10
Prole

Post by 1stAnd10 »

We need a code snippets section that people can post code snippets that do things and what version of LOVE they are verified to work with. I feel like I have to read every single page of every post that has a paper clip on it to see if the code snippet or whatever was attached can help me in some way.

I guess the wiki could be used for this as well.

Also to expand on the projects page, making it easy to see all the versions of the project that have been uploaded so that a user can easily download the most recent one would be a big plus me thinks. The ENVY thread is a good example of where this would be beneficial. You have to start at the last page and work backwards until you find the most recently uploaded version and then hope another version isn't posted in another thread somewhere.
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Note to self: pun database, with digg-style ratings.
surtic
Citizen

Post by surtic »

I have a suggestion that might sound ridiculous, but believe me - it is not.

As this is a "Community Ideas" thread, here's an idea to keeps the "community" together: keep releasing and re-releasing the library, even if you haven't made too many changes (in fact, even if it's stable as a rock and you haven't made any changes at all).

The reason? There's nothing more depressing than checking out a game engine, getting pretty excited about it and then realising that it was last updated 27 September 2001 (and is called 0.7alpha). When you see that the engine has been "updated" a month ago, you know that there's someone there that cares about it. It doesn't matter if it was a single bug fix or just tidying up the code with no real effect - as long as it's not seen as abandoned you'll get happy customers. It sends a simple message out: I still have the code, it still compiles, it still works, I can still make changes if I want to, it can still grow.

I think that the special thing about LÖVE is the community, and the very active participation of the developers. That gives hope (at least to me) that even if not all the features are there, and even if there are some inconsistencies, it's not a "take it or leave it" state - someone is listening and taking notes.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

surtic wrote:I have a suggestion that might sound ridiculous, but believe me - it is not.
Are you aware of what SVN is? Not that I am bashing your idea because I find it frustrating myself. I also hate when I google for an engine or library and get to a page that hasn't been touched since 2003 and the forum is full of unanswered questions.

Anyway, LÖVE 0.5.0 was released September 2008... not to be a bitch, but patience is a virtue and 3 FUCKING MONTHS isn't a long time.

</rant>

Note: I'm not mad. Please don't take this as serious frustration.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
surtic
Citizen

Post by surtic »

Calm down... where is the LÖVE?! ;)

I know what subversion is, I'm not complaining about the release cycle of LÖVE (quite impressed actually, especially with the amount of new features in each release). In fact, all I have is praise for this project. I just don't want it to become ClanLib, that's all...
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I now too want a wiki.

I'll start a thread asking about what you think about wik systems to not pollute this one even more.
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)