Professional Game Design Documents

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
qubodup
Inner party member

Professional Game Design Documents

Post by qubodup »

Grim Fandango's game design document was recently released and then taken down for obvious reasons. It's still available somewhere else of course.

I also started a thread on the FreeGameDev Forums that lists all available professional GDDs. (Currently only two other: Space Crack, Planescape: Torment)

I like GDDs, but the main reason might be because I've never red one so far. (Just started.)

What do you think? Ever red one? Ever written one? :D
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Re: Professional Game Design Documents

Post by rude »

Nice. I'll keep an eye on that thread.

Never read any real, professional GDDs, much less written one. ^^
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

This interests me greatly! Do you know of any place where they provide guidelines on how to write such documents? As far as I could understand from browsing through the ones you linked to it seems like pretty much anything goes. :P
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
u9_
Citizen

Post by u9_ »

I've worked on a game prototype for the Danish academy for digital interactive entertainment. The design document can be found here: http://wind.wikidot.com/design-document

Anyone lucky enough to have Half Life 2 should be able to play the prototype :) Alternatively you could check out the video.
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

I have two GDD sitting on my desk at work and I don't even want to touch them, heh.
mike wrote:This interests me greatly! Do you know of any place where they provide guidelines on how to write such documents? As far as I could understand from browsing through the ones you linked to it seems like pretty much anything goes. :P
Pretty much each game studio has its own GDD template. There are quite a few available out there, being Chris Taylor's (you can find a .doc version here) my favorite. If you're interested in the topic, be sure to read something about high-concept documents too because that's usually what you initially show to the client (to convince him that your game rocks and he should totally give you the moneyz you ask :P). The full-blown GDD is more of a development "tool".

I find them extremely boring though, hehe ^^
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

mike wrote:This interests me greatly! Do you know of any place where they provide guidelines on how to write such documents?
To my current knowledge, your best bet is to look at Lost Garden (especially Persistent myths about Game Design)
u9_ wrote:I've worked on a game prototype for the Danish academy for digital interactive entertainment. The design document can be found here: http://wind.wikidot.com/design-document
This looks quite well-structured on a first look. Only: Provide proper credit (list all authors of the doc and provide contact information)

Can you say what principles/teaches/theories/whatever this document is based on? Perhaps you can mention a book or a template that was used or name the name of the teacher who told you to do a GDD the way you did it?
u9_ wrote:Alternatively you could check out the video.
Linkz plz
Merkoth wrote:Pretty much each game studio has its own GDD template.
How do you know? :) Care to share? ^^ (I *wish*)
Merkoth wrote:There are quite a few available out there
I dislike Chris Tayolor's template with a passion. It's also the only one I know.

Hm, everything Google produces just looks like Chris Taylor's. This sucks. I like how Danc (Lost Garden) appears to be recommending a HCD-GDD mix instead of a GDD. (If I understand correctly what a HCD is..)
Merkoth wrote:be sure to read something about high-concept documents too
Thanks, I didn't know such a thing exists before you mentioned it. Bombard us with more terms if you will. :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

qubodup wrote:How do you know? :) Care to share? ^^ (I *wish*)
I work for a small gamedev studio in Argentina. We have a few ports going on right now, so we've been receiving GDD from other companies and believe me, you won't find two similar documents. In fact, sometimes there's no such thing as GDD but a bunch of smaller, more specific documents, describing each aspect of your game.
qubodup wrote:Thanks, I didn't know such a thing exists before you mentioned it. Bombard us with more terms if you will.
A high-concept is, basically, a brief description of you game. You're supposed to specify the basic concept, gameplay actors and mechanics, the basic gameflow ("Start the level, collect coins, stomp turtles, kick Koopa's rear end. Start again."), controls, features, multiplayer modes, etc. Everything that makes your game, but explained briefly and without excessive detail. You have the GDD to go into as much detail as you want :)

And I don't think I have more terms for you qubo, I'm no game designer after all :P

PS. These smileys are freaking amazing ^^
u9_
Citizen

Post by u9_ »

qubodup, you can find a video of The Windblown Adventure under the various files section, where you also have the game installer. If you have a slow connection you might consider searching youtube for a low-quality video.

We used, among others, gamasutra as inspiration. I don't remember what else.
mike
Administrator

Post by mike »

u9_ wrote:...video of The Windblown Adventure...
Can I suggest that you use Vimeo or something to host the video? It might speed things up for inquisitive people (like me) getting to a high quality video.
Now posting IN STEREO (where available)
u9_
Citizen

Post by u9_ »

u9_ wrote:[...] consider searching youtube for a low-quality video.
As I mentioned earlier, you could search youtube (click me click me) :)