What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
applebappu
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by applebappu »

Well, right now, due to the size of the project I'm still in the very early stages of development, hardly even worth mentioning really lol.

As for how things will work, my idea is that there are two "layers" to the world: a physical plane and an astral plane, and each cell of the astral plane contains an array of elemental energy types. This is the easy part.

What kind of thing appears in the physical plane is then determined by the balance of those energies. So, if a tile has a lot of fire energy, then that cell is on fire, and so on. Thus, the magic system revolves around changing these energetic balances, redirecting the energy around, vacuuming it up to create various effects or build tiles. Which will have a knock-on effect on the physical realm and the surrounding areas as the player changes that balance. This is the hard part.

Worldgen is basically, you set an initial energy balance for the world in various locations, and then let the rules I'm setting up for how energy moves determine where it goes and what kinds of tiles you get.

Like I said, it's a huge project, haha. Also, I have to build the game from the ground up with this interplay between planes in mind. It would be impossible to "bolt on" these systems to DF as it exists already.

As for AI, there isn't any for the player, but I do have it in mind that eventually the wizard's tower should attract villagers who settle the surrounding area and have various needs that the player can tend to, helping out the village to grow and prosper with their magic. But that's a long long way off.

Basically I've always wanted a systems-driven immersive sim type game where you're a wizard in a tower and have full freedom to manipulate the world with your magic, but where the things you do also have consequences and you have to be ecologically conscious and try to use your magic to help people and stuff. It doesn't seem to exist, so I'm making it. Lua is the language that makes the most sense to me, and I think it'll be an interesting challenge to make it work in this language and API.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

applebappu wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:02 pm Well, right now, due to the size of the project I'm still in the very early stages of development, hardly even worth mentioning really lol.

As for how things will work, my idea is that there are two "layers" to the world: a physical plane and an astral plane, and each cell of the astral plane contains an array of elemental energy types. This is the easy part.

What kind of thing appears in the physical plane is then determined by the balance of those energies. So, if a tile has a lot of fire energy, then that cell is on fire, and so on. Thus, the magic system revolves around changing these energetic balances, redirecting the energy around, vacuuming it up to create various effects or build tiles. Which will have a knock-on effect on the physical realm and the surrounding areas as the player changes that balance. This is the hard part.
Nice system! Mine is also at a state that's not worth mentioning :P .
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
applebappu
Prole

Post by applebappu »

For what it's worth I thought your idea was a good one, too! I think new spins on the dungeon crawler are needed. I had an idea for one where the player is a "dungeon ranger" who's job it is to take care of the "monsters" (animals, really!) living in the local dungeon. Like what if dungeons were declared nature preserves and adventuring was banned, and you had to manage one like a national park.
Party member

Thnx :awesome: , I'll try my best not to mess up :ultrahappy:

Edit: I messed up. :rofl:

BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Ive wrote code for a 2D platformer but i dont feel like adding assets.
obey
Party member

BrotSagtMist wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:10 pm Ive wrote code for a 2D platformer but i dont feel like adding assets.
:rofl:
Is it running? Maybe the game is fun without assets, any screenshots?

BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I cant tell without assets actually as they themself define their own properties by using their own colour. So adding a red picture will hurt your char for example.
Ive used this method before in C with great success, ill try it again with löve now.
obey
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

I've been working on a little jigsaw puzzle...game? I'm not sure if game is the right word for jigsaw puzzles, but here we are. At this point all the necessary bits work as they should for a first demo release, but I still need to polish a bit and whip up some proper puzzles instead of test images:
Last edited by Hugues Ross on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

Hugues Ross wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:37 pm I've been working on a little jigsaw puzzle...game? I'm not sure if game is the right word for jigsaw puzzles, but here we are. At this point all the necessary bits work as they should for a first demo release, but I still need to polish a bit and whip up some proper puzzles instead of test images: [...]
That's really cool. Can't wait to try it ;)