What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Skere
Prole

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Skere »

Whatthefuck wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:23 pm hey guys, haven't posted here in a while, just made a somewhat lengthy progress update video on that game dev sim game I'm making:

in there I explain the new game expos feature, the work-in-progess story mode and show various general improvements

give it a watch if you have 6 mins to spare, I'd appreciate the feedback

as usual, keep in mind that the sprites are placeholders and the UI is 100% not final, I'm going to hire an artist once I'm done with most things code-wise
This looks pretty fun. I like the interior lightning, and the in-depth functionality like some of the new features you showed. The concepts sound fine to me, I can't really give too much useful feedback without playing it.
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Skere wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:54 pmThis looks pretty fun. I like the interior lightning, and the in-depth functionality like some of the new features you showed. The concepts sound fine to me, I can't really give too much useful feedback without playing it.
hey, thanks for whatever feedback you can provide based on what you see in the video, haha
I was actually waiting for someone to comment on the lighting, because I was unsure whether anyone liked the way it looked at all, as for the feature depth - that's just scratching the surface, I can only mention so much in a single video, but I'm going to get into the habit of making videos like this more often, so that I don't have to stick several weeks/months worth of progress into a single video and leave out less important, but interesting nonetheless, features out :D

any tips on what whether there's anything I could do to the format of these types of videos to show more/less of specific stuff?
LudvickToba
Prole

Post by LudvickToba »

I'm still pretty new to LOVE, but right now I'm working on building a small rpg like town that you can walk around, talk to npcs, and enter houses. So far I've got player movement, collisions and screen scrolling down as well as npc movement. Right now I have to figure out how to make a warp tile for doors.
yetneverdone
Party member

Post by yetneverdone »

LudvickToba wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:28 pm I'm still pretty new to LOVE, but right now I'm working on building a small rpg like town that you can walk around, talk to npcs, and enter houses. So far I've got player movement, collisions and screen scrolling down as well as npc movement. Right now I have to figure out how to make a warp tile for doors.
Kind of like how rpg maker works. I suggest you put a rectangle sprite or object in that grid,but not visible, then when player collides in that. Move to a new scene or room
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Atavismus wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:11 am (If you wonder, I reuse some gfx from my first commercial game: Dustbowl)
Just played Dustbowl and it was great!
Atavismus
Prole

Post by Atavismus »

SiENcE wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm Just played Dustbowl and it was great!
Thx a lot! (Please, leave a small review on steam ;)

Aeon of Sands looks neat! I'm a big fan of Dungeon Master and EOB (and some more from the almighty Amiga :D)!
SiENcE
Party member

Post by SiENcE »

Atavismus wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:14 pm
SiENcE wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:18 pm Just played Dustbowl and it was great!
Thx a lot! (Please, leave a small review on steam ;)

Aeon of Sands looks neat! I'm a big fan of Dungeon Master and EOB (and some more from the almighty Amiga :D)!
Sure, i will. I esp. liked that/how you used AGS for it.

Thx. Yes DM the alltime fav. But Aeon of Sands will be different. Not a normal dungeon crawler how it might look like ;-).
Atavismus
Prole

Post by Atavismus »

SiENcE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm Sure, i will. I esp. liked that/how you used AGS for it.
Thx!
SiENcE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm Thx. Yes DM the alltime fav.
DM for life for sure! :D
SiENcE wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm But Aeon of Sands will be different. Not a normal dungeon crawler how it might look like ;-).
Interesting! How different?!
Maybe we should talk about this in another thread hehe
LudvickToba
Prole

Post by LudvickToba »

yetneverdone wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:34 am Kind of like how rpg maker works. I suggest you put a rectangle sprite or object in that grid,but not visible, then when player collides in that. Move to a new scene or room
Thanks for the tip, trying to code it right now! I'm using bump for collision detection for this project, and making a map file that displays what's current map is loaded and a map list file to grab map info from.
Jimanzium
Party member

Post by Jimanzium »

Hotline Miami and Max Payne inspired top down shooter