What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Re: What's everyone working on? (tigsource inspired)

Post by Someguynamedpie »

rebelling against the machine and making an application in love2d
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Some more progress on that game dev sim game, now the employees have some placeholder animations which makes the office look a lot more lively when they walk around and interact with objects, yay!

Plu
Inner party member

Post by Plu »

Since I found that you can actually get some work done if you have to commute 2 hours by train/bus every day, I've jumped back into some löve because it's just that awesome. I'm currently working on a UI/rendering library, mostly because I found it to be a really interesting challenge and I wanted to try a few approaches I had in mind that I haven't seen tried before.

Sadly, because I suck at visual design, most of the UIs I've made look dreadful, but technically it's starting to come together nicely.

The image below features 3 customly styled components, and one completely custom component built by recombining 4 existing components. The whole main.lua is 50 lines, including draw code and linebreaks where required.

I'm hoping that when I get a few more basic components going and wrap up the last parts of the communication system, that I can use it to pop out some demo games and maybe see if it's ready to be shared entirely :)

Code: Select all

if arg[#arg] == "-debug" then debug = true else debug = false end
if debug then require("mobdebug").start() end

lc = require "renderer"
lc:registerFont("bigger", love.graphics.newFont(48))
lc:registerFont("smaller", love.graphics.newFont(10))
lc:registerStyledLayout("title", "text", {font = "bigger", textColor = { 200, 150, 100, 255}, backgroundColor = { 38, 38, 38, 255 } })
lc:registerStyledLayout("subtitle", "text", {font = "smaller", textColor = { 200, 200, 200, 255}, backgroundColor = { 38, 38, 38, 255 } })
lc:registerStyledLayout("hot-pink-subtitle", "subtitle", {textColor = { 255, 0, 100, 255}})

lc:registerLayout("imagecaption", {
  build = function ( options)
    local container = lc:build("linear", {direction = "v", width = options.width, height = options.height, backgroundColor = {0,0,255,255}})  
    container:addChild( lc:build( "image", {file = options.file, width="wrap", height="wrap" } ))
    local textChild = lc:build( "text", {data = options.text, width="wrap", height="wrap", backgroundColor = {255,0,0,255}, textColor={0,255,0,255}, padding = lc.padding(5) })
    local borderChild = lc:build("border", { backgroundColor ={255,255,0,255}, left="fill", right="fill",top=15,bottom=5 })
    borderChild:addChild(textChild)
    container:addChild(borderChild)
    return container
  end,
  schema = lc:extendSchema("base", 
    { 
      file = { required = true, schemaType = "string" },       
      text= { required = true, schemaType = "function" }
    })
})

local title = lc:build("title", {width="fill", height="wrap", gravity = {"center", "center"}, data = function() return "I'm building the thing!" end })
local subtitle = lc:build("subtitle", {width="fill", height="wrap", gravity = {"center", "center"}, data = function() return "(Even though I'm terrible with visual design. But it's a nice technical challenge.)" end })

local imageContainer = lc:build("linear", { direction = "h", width = "fill", height = "wrap", backgroundColor = { 255, 255, 255, 25 }, padding = lc.padding(15, 10, 5, 10)})

local image1 = lc:build("imagecaption", {width=150, height="wrap", file = "cards/ace.png", text = function() return "Look, an Ace" end})
local image2 = lc:build("imagecaption", {width=150, height="wrap", file = "cards/two.png", text = function() return "And a two" end})
local image3 = lc:build("imagecaption", {width=150, height="wrap", file = "cards/three.png", text = function() return "And a three" end})

imageContainer:addChild(image1)
imageContainer:addChild(image2)
imageContainer:addChild(image3)

root = lc:build("root", {direction = "v", backgroundColor = { 73, 25, 25, 255 }})
root:addChild(title)
root:addChild(subtitle)
root:addChild(imageContainer)
root:addChild(lc:build("hot-pink-subtitle", { width = "fill", height="wrap", data = function() return "Making things easily extendible and customizable is a major goal for this library." end }))
root:layoutingPass()

love.draw = function()
  root:render()
end
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Wrote a super simple "shadow" shader for that game dev sim game. It adds a lot of contrast to everything and imo it looks way nicer now.

Here's what it looks without the shader:

And here's what it looks with the shader:
Someguynamedpie
Citizen

Post by Someguynamedpie »

IMO you should rely more on bettering the art style than adding shadows for improving the look; ergo I think you're looking for more clearly defined edges of objects. Just something that might be worth looking into, but shadows on some objects definitely does look nicer, especially on non-static ones ergo actors.
Whatthefuck
Party member

Post by Whatthefuck »

Someguynamedpie wrote:IMO you should rely more on bettering the art style than adding shadows for improving the look; ergo I think you're looking for more clearly defined edges of objects. Just something that might be worth looking into, but shadows on some objects definitely does look nicer, especially on non-static ones ergo actors.
as it is right now there is no style, all the assets are placeholders
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

Whatthefuck wrote:Wrote a super simple "shadow" shader for that game dev sim game. It adds a lot of contrast to everything and imo it looks way nicer now.
I agree that it looks much better with the shadow, and like that it's just a subtle effect.
Replacing the floor texture (less dark lines and no nails) would make it much easier to see things, though. I know you said it's just placeholder art, but I think this small change would already make the game look much better.

Keep it up!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
bubbie
Prole

Post by bubbie »

My first time having a look at Love2D, still working on a lot of the little bits.

As far as I could tell Love didn't have any actual built-in buttons so I made my own choppy system for them.
Rishavs
Party member

Post by Rishavs »

Working on something more basic. Voronoi plots without using Fortune's algorithm. :3
If it works properly, i'd like to package it as a library and share with all.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

bubbie wrote:My first time having a look at Love2D, still working on a lot of the little bits.
[...]
As far as I could tell Love didn't have any actual built-in buttons so I made my own choppy system for them.
Yes, Löve doesn't require you to use a specific UI framework, and making your own is good for practice. However, when you really want to start making your UI, I strongly recommend using a UI library made by someone else.
For example, making a good text-input-box can take days or weeks (unicode support, proper text editing with cursor-keys, word-wrapping etc) and is just not worth ones' time when what you really want to make is a game, not a UI framework.
So I recommend checking out this (uncomplete) list of libraries - there are many UI libraries in there which take that burden off you and let you start working on the actual game much faster.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de