blogs.love2d.org - The Official LÖVE Blogs!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
micha
Inner party member

Re: blogs.love2d.org - The Official LÖVE Blogs!

Post by micha »

Talking about the purpose of the blogs:

Inspired by the two existing blog-posts, I want to write a series of articles about different movement-types for top-down-view games (zelda,pacman,tanks,gta 1 (walking and driving), side scrolling shoot'em up ).

I would like to publish this on the blogs, but they could equally well go as tutorials in the wiki. Blog posts would probably grab more attention but then again, the blogs are probably not supposed to be a collection of tutorial, right? What is your oppinion on that?

By the way, blog posts are a good opportunity for actually finishing something and presenting it in a polished way.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

slime wrote:I'm not personally going to write a long blog post about new features yet, but...

• OpenGL ES 2.0 support is being tested. It will probably not make it into 0.9.0, as a) it requires either SDL 2.0 or some ugly hacks, and b) the major platforms that require it (aka mobile) also require many other internal and API changes and additions.

SDL 2.0 is the future, but it still has plenty of bugs and incomplete features, and probably will not be released by the time the rest of 0.9.0 is done, so it's not likely any feature requiring SDL 2.0 will make it into 0.9.0.

• love.math is a new module, it currently has pseudo-random number generation (fast uniform Xorshift as well as separate gaussian distribution) functions, and a polygon triangulation function. Both were added very recently, so there may be more to come before 0.9.0 is complete. vrld can probably talk more about love.math.

• Mipmapping is a technique most often found in 3D games. In LÖVE, it will give large performance improvements and get rid of ugly noise/artifacts, when drawing downscaled images with mipmap filtering enabled. In a nutshell, repeatedly downsized versions of the image will be auto-generated, and the most appropriate size for the scale you're drawing at will be chosen by the GPU. I explain it a bit more here (although Fonts no longer have mipmap support, and the API has changed slightly).
Performance demonstration from the above link: mipmapping off, mipmapping on. The original image size is 512x512. Keep in mind mipmapping is only relevant for downscaled images.

Aside from the existing changes in 0.9.0, there are a few others which are likely to make it in, such as textured polygons in the form of Geometry. More large changes and additions are certainly possible, but I don't want to make any promises. ;)
Thanks for taking your time explaining this, it really informative :nyu:.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Updates;
Responses:
master both wrote:Sorry if my last post sounded a bit rude, I really like all the post that are appearing, they are really helpful, but I would really like to see an article about all the stuff that is happening in bitbucket. I have seen the commits, but I don’t understand them, there are some stuff like mipmaps, love.math?, OpenGL ES, SDL 2, and many other thing that would be great to be explained in an article. Somehow, all this updates are making me exited about 0.9.0, and it would be great to know all this stuff. (or maybe I’m just been an idiot to be exited on stuff that are probably common updates, in that case, don’t listen to me)

Just take my opinion as a suggestion.
it didn't sound rude, I read things optimistically. Regardless, I'm thick skinned when it comes to forums and such.

If anyone is looking for something to blag about, master booth has some good ideas!

@slime, thanks for the update. This will help folks out get good ideas for blog posts.
micha wrote:By the way, blog posts are a good opportunity for actually finishing something and presenting it in a polished way.
I think this is the crux of the issue. If you are on the wiki's, you can haphazardly paste anything you want, with the idea that someone else will fix it. With the blogs, you are responsible for your own material. I think well done tutorials have a place on the blogs!

Statistics:

We can always use more writers and moderators here! If you ask me, the board members are being very helpful in getting applications proccessed.

Currently;

We have 1 pending application.
We have 10 applications accepted by the board members
We have 10 applications rejected by the board members
We have 5 blog posts with 1 in queue.

Thanks folks!
Attachments
1TWgYyG.png
1TWgYyG.png (93.24 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

Already published my 3rd article, which is about game states.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I've begun my tutorial series about making a game with love. I have the first article written and awaiting review, I plan to do the second and third sometime this week, too~
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

New blog post! The new release just came out today!

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git push
Santos
Party member

Post by Santos »

I really enjoyed Ragzouken's post about PixelEffects, it's fantastic! It was just right for my level of knowledge, it was quick to read, it introduced PixelEffects in a really practical and interesting context, and now I'm psyched to play around with PixelEffects, and see what GLSL effects I can find online, and see how the effects in the browser work. Excellent! :awesome:
hryx
Party member

Post by hryx »

Wow, how did I not yet know this exists?

Link to the blog on the LÖVE home page lest others suffer the same tragic ignorance

PS: Subscribed to the RSS!
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

@Germanunkol has made a fantastic post!

I encourage you to check it out, and for writers to write more content!

http://blogs.love2d.org/content/let-it- ... characters

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git push
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

I read through the post yesterday, and I learned a lot from it! I think I'll be using shaders more from now on. :awesome:

One thing though, the method described in the post to create outlines does not work on images that have no spacing between the edge and the opaque pixels. An example:

With an image like this, there aren't any transparent areas, and therefore, the derivative between transparent and opaque pixels is 0 throughout the entire image. Is there a good workaround for this, other than just padding the image with transparency?