itch.io - indie game hosting!

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
leafo
Prole

Re: itch.io - indie game hosting!

Post by leafo »

Lafolie wrote:Hi leafo, as ever this project of yours is inspiring. I'd like to address an issue here though. I think that the images of the index page should link to larger versions, or - ideally - link to the page they depict. It really needs an example page.

I agree. Going to fancy up the homepage. Was hoping to get other people's games on the homepage as examples.
Roland_Yonaba wrote: I have a some questions/suggestions. Even though I am pretty sure you already thought about most of them. Anyway, i'll just throw them on the table:
Would it be possible, to have a list of all the games hosted displayed somewhere ?
And be able to browse, by category/tags ?
A search module would be a lot helpful too, when the number of hosted games will grow.
Actually, are you providing some stats for each projects ? Number of views, downloads count ?
I can see that when creating a porject page, the game archive is uploaded ? Actually, are there some file size limits ?
1. Yeah, I want to have a list/browse page. Just haven't done it yet :) I have the users input tags and cover image but I don't use that information yet.
2. Search would be cool. Not much of a priority yet until I get a lot of games
3. Stats are good, I plan to have them.
4. Right now there is a 500mb limit of file uploads. I can make it larger upon request but I haven't put this in writing anywhere yet.

Davidobot wrote:Can you view other pages created by the people or do they need to give you the link to visit them? Made my own page: http://itch.io/g/davidobot/quest-of-dan ... s-gemstone
Right now you need to share the link yourself. I think that's how most games will end up being discoverd, but I will add an explore page.
Kyrremann wrote:One thing I noticed is that there is no pages for users. So if I want to check out other games you had made, I would probably visit this page "http://itch.io/g/leafo" but it doesn't exist.

Other then that it would be nice to be able to go to the front page after I've logged in. It's not that interesting to see my own profile page.
Have you also thought about adding a search function?
Yes, I'm going to have user pages that list their games. Each user will get their own subdomain for their profile and games as well so the urls will be a little nicer.

The current logged in home page is no good. I'm going to try to fill it up with some view/download statistics.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

You should be able to add comments to games.
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Davidobot wrote:You should be able to add comments to games.
And rate them, aswell...?
scutheotaku
Party member

Post by scutheotaku »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:
Hmm, idk about comments and ratings...is this supposed to be like Bandcamp where it's an easy place for indies to place their stuff and, if they want, sell it? If so, they may not want commenting and ratings systems (last I used it, Bandcamp didn't have either). If you do add those features, I'd suggest making them optional.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

A Reviews section will be nicer.
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
Kyrremann
Prole

Post by Kyrremann »

I'm with scutheotaku, if you are going to add comments, make it optional for the developer. As one of the things I like with Bandcamp is the cleanness. If I want to know what other have said about the game I can just google or youtube it.
nikneym
Citizen

Post by nikneym »

Amazing! Here is my indie blog :)
http://indietr.com/
leafo
Prole

Post by leafo »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:
At least for now I have no intentions of adding comments or ratings or anything like that. I think it distracts from the game page. If the owner of the game wants to quote some good feedback then they can put it into their game page manually. I don't want to be a social network for games, just a place where people can create a page for their games.

Also, if you're interested, I just released a bunch of updates to the site. You can read about it on the blog http://itchio.tumblr.com/ but I'll summarize here. I added sudomains so now you games get pretty urls, like: http://leafo.itch.io/x-moon. I also added a rich text editor and some other minor things to improve the game page editing process.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

just what i needed :D
but its alot things like search and all games page and stuff like that
Kyle
Party member

Post by Kyle »

Pretty nice! Do you think it'd be possible to allow for custom fonts, though? I'd like to use some Google Webfonts.