Official Lua Library Selection

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Re: Official Lua Library Selection

Post by TechnoCat »

giniu wrote:I have done some thinking and I guess file operations would be thing that would be enough for most people that need real threads so - is this a reasonable idea to extend love.filesystem.File with threaded version of read and some isready/getdata functions? This limited thread support for files could be done (I think) with Physfs and SDL_Thread and that's already used (in love.audio as I looked at source) - so would something like that, not requiring any outside library in love or native - be considered portable and love-way enough for inclusion if someone (for example I if I find enough time around end of month) would success with preparing a patch? ;)
If I recall correctly, the decision to remove threading was incompatibility with x64 systems.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

SDL threads should be cross-platform, anyway, we're currently discussing what new features we actually want, so you'll be sure to hear from us.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

What about the MD5 library? It could be handy for securing things like savegame and scoreboard files (that is, discourage people from editing them by hand by encrypting them or using a hash check). It could also be used for things like password-protected user profiles.

Kind of advanced stuff, I know, but I would like to think that Love may eventually be used for more ambitious games.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Taehl wrote:What about the MD5 library?
I think adding MD5 support, in itself, is a good idea. But it is important we don't get caught in an imaginary arms race against cheaters: they will always win in the end. If anyone making something ambitious wants to stop cheaters, they are better off at trying to make cheating unattractive rather than impossible.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Aah, so true... Alright then, it would still be useful for, say, ensuring savegame integrity. If the checksum doesn't match, the file must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the line. And I'm sure there's other uses for it, too.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Taehl wrote:Aah, so true... Alright then, it would still be useful for, say, ensuring savegame integrity. If the checksum doesn't match, the file must have gotten corrupted somewhere along the line. And I'm sure there's other uses for it, too.
That's true. And there probably plenty of good uses for MD5 we've forgotten at the moment.
Help us help you: attach a .love.