Blög?

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Karai17
Party member

Blög?

Post by Karai17 »

Is there any particular reason why löve does not have a news/blog page? I think that could be quite beneficial to the project and community as a whole. From a newbie's perspective, löve hasn't been updated since April, making the project look kind of dead (despite the engine source being updated on a frequent basis).

A news page could allow the engine devs to talk about bug fixes, new features, etc before a release is made. Perhaps even offer nightly/weekly builds. Also, to increase community interaction, the news page could have posts that feature current projects such as games or libraries posted on the forum.

Thoughts? Ideas? :)
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Blög?

Post by Jasoco »

I kinda wish Löve would do Nightlies. A blog isn't needed since big updates come out far between. As I understand it's always being worked on, but it takes forever. I'd love to download a Nightly of Löve every day. Especially if it was the faster LuaJIT version. We're on 0.8.0 right now and people keep talking about how 0.8.1 will do this and 0.9.0 will do that, but we can't really do anything with that unless we want to compile the thing ourselves. Nightlies would be nice. If they're available for OS X, Windows and Linux all at once. If not Nightlies, hows aboot Weeklies? Or at the very least Monthlies.
substitute541
Party member

Post by substitute541 »

A Twitter account and a widget for the forum/main Love2D page that shows the current tweets would be nice. Call it "Love2D Lövely updates"?
Currently designing themes for WordPress.

Sometimes lurks around the forum.
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

Jasoco wrote:I kinda wish Löve would do Nightlies. A blog isn't needed since big updates come out far between. As I understand it's always being worked on, but it takes forever. I'd love to download a Nightly of Löve every day. Especially if it was the faster LuaJIT version. We're on 0.8.0 right now and people keep talking about how 0.8.1 will do this and 0.9.0 will do that, but we can't really do anything with that unless we want to compile the thing ourselves. Nightlies would be nice. If they're available for OS X, Windows and Linux all at once. If not Nightlies, hows aboot Weeklies? Or at the very least Monthlies.
I'll post builds for Windows as soon as I can merge changes. They include LuaJIT2 and the latest build should have vertex shader support. I don't have access to OS X, but I'll see what I can do for Linux.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

szensk wrote:They include LuaJIT2 and the latest build should have vertex shader support. I don't have access to OS X, but I'll see what I can do for Linux.
The vertex shader stuff isn't in the main repository yet. Hopefully soon, though!
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

What does that mean? Vertex Shading?
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

It's much like a pixel effect, except that it applies to vertices. Both being written in GLSL. Wikipedia
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

An official blög would be great. When there isn't much to talk about in terms of new functionality in newer versions, it could focus on the games and projects that are currently being made. Of course somebody would have to spend quite a lot of time writing it...
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

T-Bone wrote:Of course somebody would have to spend quite a lot of time writing it...
I'd do it, if the devs let me. :P
Help us help you: attach a .love.
silver_hawk
Prole

Post by silver_hawk »

I would be nice with a blog, that posts recently completed projects and other neat news, fx. utilities and such? So that people could see some activity around the community :D