LÖVE 0.4.0

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
rude
Administrator

LÖVE 0.4.0

Post by rude »

Woooo! 0.4.0 released! ~(^-^)~ *dance*

Changes
  • Added love.physics.
  • Added love.audio.setMode().
  • Added love.audio.setChannels().
  • Added love.graphics.polygon().
  • Added love.graphics.setScissor() and love.graphics.getScissor() to handle scissoring the graphical area.
  • Fixed missing constants related to image optimization.
  • Fixed memory leak related to love::File (thanks amnesiasoft!).
New Documentation
The documentation has been redesigned. I'm sure someone will like the old one better, but that's their problem. The way examples are handled has also changed, so all the old examples are GONE I'm afraid. The new idea is that every example should be runnable like a normal .love app. A .love file with all the examples is coming soon (it is done, needs publishing).

As for the documentation of love.physics: only the interface itself with brief desriptions has been added. Much more is needed here, but we chose to release with the minimal amount of documentation and then flesh out later. The alternative would have been delaying the release, so no complaining :D. Yes, I do understand that software without proper documentation is worthless, so it *will* be improved as quickly as possible. Promise.

Demos
I've added emotics.love and lovalanche.love to http://love2d.org/demos/ which showcase some of the new functionality. More will come as I feel like making them.

A Word of Warning
The love.physics interface has a lot of functionality and has undergone some testing, but:
  • This is BETA (Sparta!). You are a TESTER.
  • A few (critical?) features are still missing. Especially with respect to collision callbacks.
  • I'm a not a GOD of physics. There are I few things I don't understand at all, so documenting that part will be epic.
  • The love.physics interface will not solve everything for you. There are things it can and things it can not do.
  • The interface is sadly much more complex and harder to use than the other interfaces, but this time there was no way around it without sacrificing important flexibility.
Final Notes
For a simple example, check out lovalanche.love. That code has some comments and should not be too hard to understand. Also, the documentation at http://www.box2d.org/ is very good.

Enjoy!
Xfcn
Citizen

Re: LÖVE 0.4.0

Post by Xfcn »

Okay NOW I may have to get off my pathetic ass and start coding! Freakin' sweet work rude! Good job. When I get some money I'm donatin' it your way.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
WiseAllec
Prole

Post by WiseAllec »

Yays! A new release!

I ran love without a game, and started to drag around the circles that were present on the screen... But then an error appeared:

love: src/box2d/Source/Dynamics/b2World.cpp:676: void b2World::SolveTOI(const b2TimeStep&): Assertion `subStep.dt > 1.19209290e-7F' failed.
Aborted

I did manage to get the circles to collide with each other, I still don't know why it crashed though, cause I just ran it again and started to do the exact same thing and it didn't crash on me...

Great work though, congrats on the new release. :D
Kaze
Party member

Post by Kaze »

Hooray!
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Would someone be so great to make a video of a physics demo and upload it to youtube or gamevee? =)

* I know of the old one..
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Jake
Prole

Post by Jake »

Is scissoring similar to 'masking' in that it only allows the current box to be updated?

I Googled scissoring but.. ahem..
Merkoth
Party member

Post by Merkoth »

Shweet. Congrats on the new release guys! The docs look fine rude, it's impressive how much has the API grown in a few months, the engine is looking awesome :D
Green_Hell
Citizen

Post by Green_Hell »

Well Done :!:

I didn't expect it, but I'm glad you kept backwards compatibility. :)

GDOL: Advice. Link to demo directory and logos directory from the main site.
>>I love LÖVE.<<
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

Green_Hell wrote:GDOL: Advice. Link to demo directory and logos directory from the main site.
Yes. Do it. Please!
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
rude
Administrator

Post by rude »

Thanks, everyone.
Green_Hell wrote:I didn't expect it, but I'm glad you kept backwards compatibility.
I think everything made for 0.2.1+ is compatible!
Green_Hell wrote:GDOL: Advice. Link to demo directory and logos directory from the main site.
Eventually. :3
Jake wrote:Is scissoring similar to 'masking' in that it only allows the current box to be updated?
Yes. It masks everything else but the defined rectangle.
WiseAllec wrote:love: src/box2d/Source/Dynamics/b2World.cpp:676: void b2World::SolveTOI(const b2TimeStep&): Assertion `subStep.dt > 1.19209290e-7F' failed.Aborted
Thanks for posting this.