MoonRocks

General discussion about LÖVE, Lua, game development, puns, and unicorns.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

MoonRocks

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

A new place to share rocks.
Clean interface, simple to use, and effective. More details here.
Plus, the website source is freely available on Github.
Compatible with luaRocks rockspecs.
Made by Leaf Corcoran (Leafo), using Moonscript.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: MoonRocks

Post by kikito »

Looks nice. I tried updating a rockspec and it was much less painful than in luarocks.

I've got one question - How does one start using the rocks, once they are uploaded? In other words, what is the equivalent of

Code: Select all

$ luarocks install inspect
in moonrocks?
When I write def I mean function.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Hi kikito,
Actually, I can easily install a rock using

Code: Select all

luarocks install --server=http://rocks.moonscript.org/manifests/<author> <name>
<author> would be the uploader username and and <name> the module name.
Yay, I've just installed inspect.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Oh I see.

I'm kindof split on this one. On one hand, this means that I must have the luarocks executable installed in order to use moonrocks.

On the other hand, this is making use of existing software, without reinventing the weel, which I like. And contrarily to the luarocks site, I don't need to send an email to upload/update a new rock (that was horrible).

Suggestion to leafo: in case you are planning to create your own executable, you should create a user named "luarocks" in the site right away. Make him owner of all the rocks in luarocks. Add a cron task that parses the luarocks site once per hour or so. This way the moonrocks executable will be able to install "kikito/inspect" but also "inspect" (from the default user luarocks)
leafo
Prole

Post by leafo »

kikito wrote:Oh I see.

I'm kindof split on this one. On one hand, this means that I must have the luarocks executable installed in order to use moonrocks.

On the other hand, this is making use of existing software, without reinventing the weel, which I like. And contrarily to the luarocks site, I don't need to send an email to upload/update a new rock (that was horrible).

Suggestion to leafo: in case you are planning to create your own executable, you should create a user named "luarocks" in the site right away. Make him owner of all the rocks in luarocks. Add a cron task that parses the luarocks site once per hour or so. This way the moonrocks executable will be able to install "kikito/inspect" but also "inspect" (from the default user luarocks)

The goal is to make http://rocks.moonscript.org the default server in LuaRocks. So when people use LuaRocks they, by default, will download packages from there. This site is just a replacement for the mailing list package submission that is currently being used.

I think I'm going to wait a bit for people to upload their own rocks before exporting everything from the current LuaRocks manifest.

Also, what would you prefer to use instead of the luarocks executable to install packages?
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

leafo wrote:Also, what would you prefer to use instead of the luarocks executable to install packages?
Well, I don't want to have two systems, that's all :)