In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.12

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
UnixRoot
Citizen

Re: In the Heavens - Demo 0.1.0

Post by UnixRoot »

Of course, you can rotate a mesh. It's drawn like any other drawable in Love2D.

Edit: I'm sorry, but I can't upload any examples at this stage. I'm using some copyrighted material for testing purposes right now. I have to get rid of those assets first. I'll share my engine if it's in a release worthy state and doesn't contain copyrighted material anymore.
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

UnixRoot wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:31 am Of course, you can rotate a mesh. It's drawn like any other drawable in Love2D.

Edit: I'm sorry, but I can't upload any examples at this stage. I'm using some copyrighted material for testing purposes right now. I have to get rid of those assets first. I'll share my engine if it's in a release worthy state and doesn't contain copyrighted material anymore.
Ah ok thanks! I'll probably keep working with what I've currently got until I can work out how to do a better way of doing this
Dragon
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

The instructions say to point with the mouse and press space to fly. How do I point with the mouse? The pointer disappears, and it only reappears when it's outside the window. All I can do is fly vertically or, if I move the mouse at random, do full turns, but I don't really seem to have control of flight with the mouse.
dusoft
Party member

Post by dusoft »

pgimeno wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:56 pm The instructions say to point with the mouse and press space to fly. How do I point with the mouse? The pointer disappears, and it only reappears when it's outside the window. All I can do is fly vertically or, if I move the mouse at random, do full turns, but I don't really seem to have control of flight with the mouse.
Works for me.
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

pgimeno wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:56 pm The instructions say to point with the mouse and press space to fly. How do I point with the mouse? The pointer disappears, and it only reappears when it's outside the window. All I can do is fly vertically or, if I move the mouse at random, do full turns, but I don't really seem to have control of flight with the mouse.
There should be a white dot that replaces it - if you haven't moved the mouse for a while it disappears, but it reappears when you move it again.

Edit: Oh it might potentially break if you have any controllers plugged in, but its been a while since I messed with it

Edit 2: I just tested it, it seems it is a controller issue. I never finished implementing controller support but I did mess with it a bit, I seemed to have forgotten to disable it.
Dragon
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

That was it, thanks! Unplugging the controller did the trick.
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

Bobble68 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 7:20 pm
UnixRoot wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:31 am Of course, you can rotate a mesh. It's drawn like any other drawable in Love2D.

Ah ok thanks! I'll probably keep working with what I've currently got until I can work out how to do a better way of doing this
Maybe this will help you solve some speed improvements. The demo shows how a textured polygon (currently a quad defined as two triangles) can be drawn.

One of the quads is colored per vertex, uses rock texture. The other quad uses no colors so and has a sand texture. Both of them i set to repeat and UV generated so it has 4x4 tiles.

If you or others want to experiment with this demo just rename the .love file to .zip and unzip the project. Add more vertexes to polygons. Experiment with colors to define some nice light effects. And i hope it helps in some way.
polygonizer.png
polygonizer.png (355.4 KiB) Viewed 180884 times
Attachments
Polygonizer-230515-1630.zip
(27.4 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
UnixRoot
Citizen

Post by UnixRoot »

That's really nice, but isn't your example a little over the top for drawing a textured mesh? I mean, only a few lines of code are missing for it to be a 3D engine. You can draw textured 2D meshes with a far simpler approach.
Rigachupe
Citizen

Post by Rigachupe »

UnixRoot wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:57 pm That's really nice, but isn't your example a little over the top for drawing a textured mesh? I mean, only a few lines of code are missing for it to be a 3D engine. You can draw textured 2D meshes with a far simpler approach.
Ah i see... there is this function to do the trick. It should work too with less code i suppose. Did not test it myself.
https://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.newMesh

PS:Yes, the 3D hidden inside the example is a preparation for later special light effects and other things. When optimized it should work nicely directly with the modern GPU's.
Bobble68
Party member

Post by Bobble68 »

Rigachupe wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:14 pm
Ah i see... there is this function to do the trick. It should work too with less code i suppose. Did not test it myself.
https://love2d.org/wiki/love.graphics.newMesh

PS:Yes, the 3D hidden inside the example is a preparation for later special light effects and other things. When optimized it should work nicely directly with the modern GPU's.
UnixRoot wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:57 pm That's really nice, but isn't your example a little over the top for drawing a textured mesh? I mean, only a few lines of code are missing for it to be a 3D engine. You can draw textured 2D meshes with a far simpler approach.
Are there any good examples of this I can look at? If I'm understanding correctly, I need to make 1 mesh per island, and need to place vertices where the pixels would normally go?
Dragon