Small platform game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Bigfoot71
Party member

Small platform game

Post by Bigfoot71 »

Hello everyone ! :awesome:

I share with you a little unpretentious platform game that I made to train myself for a bigger project that I have in mind.
One of the goals I had set myself was to make 50 levels and for the game to be as light as possible, in the end I made 70 and the Löve archive is only 1.3MB.

My ambition is to make the size of the game even better for the future project I have in mind, I think I can do better because I forgot some points about the size at times during the design.

If you have any questions, opinions or any criticism to make, I am all ears in order to improve myself!

You can find it here: https://bigfoot71.itch.io/jumpy-guys-adventure

I also share the .love with you although the code was minified to meet my purpose but my code is unlicensed, if you want some of it or want to know how I did on some points I could share no problem ^^

I also made it available on the playstore but it contains some ads, if I can make the payment of my Google dev account profitable ^^ (the APK on Itch.io does not contain ads, I want to clarify). https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sadventure
Attachments
all-1.2.1.love
Update / Bugfixes
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 126 times
Last edited by Bigfoot71 on Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Re: Small platform game

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Sounds cool but something is very wrong here.
I cant really jump, height varies, speed varies. Something is wrong with delta timing it seems.
Debug options?
obey
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:30 pm Sounds cool but something is very wrong here.
I cant really jump, height varies, speed varies. Something is wrong with delta timing it seems.
Debug options?
Ah yes, thank you for the feedback, I just saw that indeed, by slowing down the game with time.sleep(0.1) I even see that the player doesn't even jump anymore, really sorry I'll fix that right away.

Edit: The problem is solved, it was due to a stupid mistake I made during a big code change lately, the fix should be coming soon with other issues fixed too. Thanks again for pointing that out to me.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I played all-1.2.1.love
The jumping and falling seems quite fast. Not sure if it is meant to be that fast but I found it difficult to control. Might just be a problem of being out of practice with jump&run games.

After having died there should be a way to restart the level without using the mouse because moving hand between keyboard and mouse sucks ;)
marclurr
Citizen

Post by marclurr »

I also played the .love file from the forum found it way too fast, I couldn't control it at all. Lost all my lives in seconds.
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

knorke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:24 am I played all-1.2.1.love
The jumping and falling seems quite fast. Not sure if it is meant to be that fast but I found it difficult to control. Might just be a problem of being out of practice with jump&run games.

After having died there should be a way to restart the level without using the mouse because moving hand between keyboard and mouse sucks ;)
Ah yes I realized at the last moment that it was not indicated, to restart the level it is either the "R" key or the "select/back" button of the gamepad, you also have the pause with " escape/start". I will completely redo the interface soon so that everything is clearer. And you can also navigate with the keyboard/joystick between the buttons but it's not intuitive.

It's a game I made for practice so a lot of things were added little by little when I had a new idea, I should have thought of some things before, so it may not be very well implemented yet, but I'll fix it all.

The nervousness of the gameplay came from one of my first tries and I had found that funny, I still softened it compared to what it was originally.

And yes the game is hard, good luck for the 70 levels ^^

Thanks for your feedback :)
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

marclurr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:27 am I also played the .love file from the forum found it way too fast, I couldn't control it at all. Lost all my lives in seconds.
At this point ? I have friends who have tried it, it's hard, it goes fast but that's the goal, most of them have succeeded in the first world. I'm sorry if it's so hard but hey it was really a choice on my part :(
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Hmm i wanted to add a fps counter and wtf why have you removed all the line breaks?
Anyway the combination of low fps and high game speed makes it too hart to play here.
I think this would be pretty good if the physics would be more traditional.
Gamepad usage is awkward that when you die while jumping you may just get kicked into the shop because the retry screen does react on if pressed instead new presses.
Also you lazy ass only covered Xbox gamepads, my playstation pad is ignored.
obey
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm Also you lazy ass only covered Xbox gamepads, my playstation pad is ignored.
Because Playstation with it's gamepads obviously doesn't exist
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Ehhhh?
obey