Small platform game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Bigfoot71
Party member

Re: Small platform game

Post by Bigfoot71 »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:54 pm Hmm i wanted to add a fps counter and wtf why have you removed all the line breaks?
Anyway the combination of low fps and high game speed makes it too hart to play here.
I think this would be pretty good if the physics would be more traditional.
Gamepad usage is awkward that when you die while jumping you may just get kicked into the shop because the retry screen does react on if pressed instead new presses.
Also you lazy ass only covered Xbox gamepads, my playstation pad is ignored.
I said in the first post that among other things to keep the bet to make the game as light as possible I minified the code. (it saved me ~250Kb, it doesn't seem like much, but given the number of times I saved 100Kb, it saved me a lot of MB)

And for the gamepad, uh, I don't have a gamepad for my PC at home, I couldn't test it :rofl: make fun of me, you can, I thought I'd specify, one more thing that i forgot :D

More seriously sorry, I have to invest in gamepads for my future project, it will be important, thank you for pointing out these problems.

Otherwise for the playstation gamepad, sorry too, but xbox is better :cool:
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Well okey thats a good reason. Seeing how i need 10 minutes download time for 1mb i very welcome its size.
But then you could even go further and ship bytecode.
Or have you considered using 7z instead zip? Depending on how the game is structured it can be massively smaller, ~30% for average games id say.

I would guestimate its a 50/50 chance that a gamepad returns named buttons, if you want a perfect recoginition youll probably have to put some work into it.
obey
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

As I mentioned in my first message, I do believe I can improve the issue of size, but it will be for my next project. I am aware that I have neglected certain points here, but my focus was on addressing the most important aspects related to this matter and experimenting with them. I will do my best in my future project, which will be similar but with an improved concept.

Otherwise happy that it suits you, my goal at the base is to put in the place of those who code the games on the Atari / Amiga where they spoke of war of the byte, and I'm also fed up with the games made with Unity that are +40MB for something that could fit in 15MB.

For the bytecode I didn't do it because I already had problems with it on Android devices and since this game is only a first draft for my next project I didn't want to waste time generated the code differently for each release.

Joking aside for the gamepad it was really not wanted, I coded it blind without being able to test it and I should have specified it, it's stupid on my part, I will correct that on this project as soon as that I will have the gamepads.

I had relied entirely on this wiki page and didn't think for a moment that it couldn't work with PS controllers.
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.
omel_7
Prole

Post by omel_7 »

pretty good, its just really fast