Play my free retro style platformer game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
kiyo
Prole

Re: Play my free retro style platformer game

Post by kiyo »

distantforest wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:27 pm I just played the exe from this one with no issues.
https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=94398
Maybe need to use a different method to make the exe
I think so
kiyo
Prole

Post by kiyo »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:33 pm
kiyo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:40 pm at what level you got stuck ?
Not making it past the first dude...
alright, I understand, you can't pass through the spiderwebs
kiyo
Prole

Post by kiyo »

distantforest wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:27 pm I just played the exe from this one with no issues.
https://love2d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=94398
Maybe need to use a different method to make the exe
Lol, I downloaded the game and as soon as I extract, windows defender starts showing warnings, day by day A.I. getting smarter and these antiviruses dumber
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

Indeed, it's quite difficult. I also didn't manage to pass the first level. Furthermore, the insect falls too quickly compared to the heaviness of the movement, which makes controlling the movements difficult. As a result, right from the start of the level, I would die almost instantly and didn't have time to understand what to do, on top of the timer taking as much time as the game. Even after understanding, one has to constantly spam the space bar and even then, it's not easy to get the timing right. It's very frustrating. I agree with BrotSagtMist.

It is unfortunate because it is clear that efforts have been made. Maybe you can improve on those points, like providing guidance and making the movements more manageable.

Otherwise for distribution on Windows the simplest remains what is said in the wiki, I've never had a problem on any machine or antivirus personally.
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I had to extract the .love file from the .exe so that I could run it on Linux.

I agree with others already said.
The graphics are nice and many things seem very polished.
But the gameplay is not fun and too hard.
Furthermore, the insect falls too quickly compared to the heaviness of the movement, which makes controlling the movements difficult.
Agreed.
Also one can only move sideways when pressing space to go up.
(It should be possible to move left/right when falling down.)
The flight physics are the core of the gameplay, flying has to feel fun.
Currently it feels annoying.
As a result, right from the start of the level, I would die almost instantly and didn't have time to understand what to do, on top of the timer taking as much time as the game.
I had the same problem. I died several times after two seconds while still figuring out the controls.

Maybe a quick fix:
After loading the level have a text display:
"Use arrow keys to move sideways. Use spacebar to fly upwards.
Press spacebar to start"

That way the player learns about the keys and the gameplay only starts when the player is ready.

Also I suggest to have walls that do not kill but just block movement.
Then add a floor under the player's spawn location. Even better, have the firefly spawn on the floor. So when the player does nothing it will just sit there.
The first level should not be "Game Over" when the player does not instantly start pressing buttons.
kiyo
Prole

Post by kiyo »

knorke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:00 am I had to extract the .love file from the .exe so that I could run it on Linux.

I agree with others already said.
The graphics are nice and many things seem very polished.
But the gameplay is not fun and too hard.
Furthermore, the insect falls too quickly compared to the heaviness of the movement, which makes controlling the movements difficult.
Agreed.
Also one can only move sideways when pressing space to go up.
(It should be possible to move left/right when falling down.)
The flight physics are the core of the gameplay, flying has to feel fun.
Currently it feels annoying.
As a result, right from the start of the level, I would die almost instantly and didn't have time to understand what to do, on top of the timer taking as much time as the game.
I had the same problem. I died several times after two seconds while still figuring out the controls.

Maybe a quick fix:
After loading the level have a text display:
"Use arrow keys to move sideways. Use spacebar to fly upwards.
Press spacebar to start"

That way the player learns about the keys and the gameplay only starts when the player is ready.

Also I suggest to have walls that do not kill but just block movement.
Then add a floor under the player's spawn location. Even better, have the firefly spawn on the floor. So when the player does nothing it will just sit there.
The first level should not be "Game Over" when the player does not instantly start pressing buttons.
ok, thanks for the suggestions, I'll make gameplay easier so anyone can enjoy without getting frustrated
kiyo
Prole

Post by kiyo »

Bigfoot71 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:21 pm Indeed, it's quite difficult. I also didn't manage to pass the first level. Furthermore, the insect falls too quickly compared to the heaviness of the movement, which makes controlling the movements difficult. As a result, right from the start of the level, I would die almost instantly and didn't have time to understand what to do, on top of the timer taking as much time as the game. Even after understanding, one has to constantly spam the space bar and even then, it's not easy to get the timing right. It's very frustrating. I agree with BrotSagtMist.

It is unfortunate because it is clear that efforts have been made. Maybe you can improve on those points, like providing guidance and making the movements more manageable.

Otherwise for distribution on Windows the simplest remains what is said in the wiki, I've never had a problem on any machine or antivirus personally.
Thank you very much for playing and helping out what is wrong. I'll update the game soon so anyone can enjoy
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

knorke wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:00 am I had to extract the .love file from the .exe so that I could run it on Linux.
Protip: Löve can open its own fused exes just like a .love file.
obey
marclurr
Citizen

Post by marclurr »

I get a weird black flickering on the screen, it seems to be worse when there's some animation happening. Running on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS), I ran the Windows .exe using the version of love I have installed (the way mentioned by BrotSagtMist).
kiyo
Prole

Post by kiyo »

marclurr wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:50 am I get a weird black flickering on the screen, it seems to be worse when there's some animation happening. Running on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04.6 LTS), I ran the Windows .exe using the version of love I have installed (the way mentioned by BrotSagtMist).
what graphics card are you using ??? try the linux appimage, I built the appimage on ubuntu 20.04. and is the flickering all the time you played or in a particular time?