Developement

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ProfessionallyStupid
Prole

Developement

Post by ProfessionallyStupid »

Is it just me or did EVERY love2d developer made their own version of Pong?
MrFariator
Party member

Re: Developement

Post by MrFariator »

Pong, Tetris, Space Invaders, Snake, or any other such game just happen to be the common learning or teaching projects. Not just with love2d, but just about any engine or framework. Simple (in terms of scope), easy to understand (in terms of goals to achieve), and you'll understand some core concepts in developing a game by making a clone of those classics.
darkfrei
Party member

Post by darkfrei »

Wait! Are this classic games also made as OOP?
:awesome: in Lua we Löve
:awesome: Platformer Guide
:awesome: freebies
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

You know, don't think I've ever made a Pong... I'm more of a breakout guy when it comes to trying out game tech.
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I made pong in rpgmaker 2k, even with two players. If you know how restricted rpgmaker is you would be amazed on that result.
I made snake and flappy bird clones in löve tho.
So yea, we kinda all started there, its true.
obey
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Hugues Ross wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:42 pm You know, don't think I've ever made a Pong... I'm more of a breakout guy when it comes to trying out game tech.
Same, I was a flappy birds (or ... Ermm ...a flappy ship) maker and that was with kivy. :P

Then I went on with failed after failed project in love until my exp was high enough to level up a little.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Bigfoot71
Party member

Post by Bigfoot71 »

It's good to learn by redoing the classics, especially if you haven't programmed a lot before, it allows you to be guided and it can allow you to go much faster on certain important concepts. After personal I learned to code by doing anything and still today on löve I always do everything and anything but in image, I can finally contemplate my anything and that's beautiful :D

So except if you like to get lost, alone and for no reason, redoing the classics seems to be one of the good solutions to take if you want to progress quickly. :)
My avatar code for the curious :D V1, V2, V3.