2runs - short platformer

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
undefined
Prole

2runs - short platformer

Post by undefined »

Hi everyone.

Recently, I made very short (but difficult) platformer as my final project for CS50x.

Gameplay
2runs is a platformer in which you have to play 2 characters and complete 2 different levels at the same time. Your goal is to simply reach the end of the level as fast as you can with both characters. There are no any items/stars/points that you have to collect, only enemies that you can either shoot or avoid. Also make sure to avoid falling and hitting red tiles, as they will kill you as well. You only have 1 life, so if either character dies, you have to start everything over again.

Player controls and mechanics

Controls for first characters are:
a - move left
d - move right
c - jump
w - shoot

Controls for second characters are:
h - move left
k - move right
n - jump
u - shoot
As for mechanics there are only 2 things worth explaining:
Shooting. You have unlimited bullets, but you can only shoot once per second. Bullets are also very tiny so make sure to be accurate when shooting.
Wall-Jump. Wall-Jump is very important mechanic in this game. It allows you to jump one more time, but only when you are collided with any vertical wall. As you are walljumping make sure that you are collided with the wall by holding the movement key (e.g. if you the wall is on your left, hold left movement key as you are walljumping of of it). It's important to note that it will only work if you jumped of the ground previously. If you accidentally fell from platform and try holding on to wall and walljumping, it won't work. This part wasn't planned when I was coding. I decided not to fix it as this serves as another way to punish players when they run of the platform, or fail to correctly time their jumps.

Let me know what you think about the game and the idea (playing 2 different levels at the same time).

Here is my walkthorugh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJbE7pswdaU

Btw, I am aware that the walkthrough is not perfect. If someone is willing to invest time, they can play this much faster and smoother than me.
Attachments
2runs.love
(37.78 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
2runs.zip
(7.39 MiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by undefined on Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rm_
Prole

Re: 2runs - short platformer

Post by rm_ »

Looks very cool!. Is it a final project for CS50x or CS50GD? I'm finishing up my final project for CS50GD, which is a Tetris clone. At first, when I saw your game, I thought that you have to navigate two levels by controlling two players at the same time. But then I read the description. Very cool game and looks well executed.
undefined
Prole

Post by undefined »

rm_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:37 pm Looks very cool!. Is it a final project for CS50x or CS50GD? I'm finishing up my final project for CS50GD, which is a Tetris clone. At first, when I saw your game, I thought that you have to navigate two levels by controlling two players at the same time. But then I read the description. Very cool game and looks well executed.

It's final project for CS50x, I didn't take CS50GD yet.
rm_
Prole

Post by rm_ »

undefined wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pm
rm_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:37 pm Looks very cool!. Is it a final project for CS50x or CS50GD? I'm finishing up my final project for CS50GD, which is a Tetris clone. At first, when I saw your game, I thought that you have to navigate two levels by controlling two players at the same time. But then I read the description. Very cool game and looks well executed.

CS50GD is not as polished as CS50x, but focuses on Love2D a lot. You might like it. Be quick to check it out because I think they are going to discontinue it this year.
undefined
Prole

Post by undefined »

rm_ wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:54 pm
undefined wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pm

CS50GD is not as polished as CS50x, but focuses on Love2D a lot. You might like it. Be quick to check it out because I think they are going to discontinue it this year.
Thanks for info, I might check it out if I have time for it.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

It is better to attach the .love file so user on all systems can run it.
I am bad at jumping games that require pixel perfect movement so I was too lazy to run it with Wine or repack it. Instead I just watched the video.
Is there some interaction between the two levels? For example character 1 has to flip a switch to open a door for character 2. Or obstacles that are somehow only visible in the other screen, something like that.
undefined
Prole

Post by undefined »

knorke wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:59 pm It is better to attach the .love file so user on all systems can run it.
I am bad at jumping games that require pixel perfect movement so I was too lazy to run it with Wine or repack it. Instead I just watched the video.
Is there some interaction between the two levels? For example character 1 has to flip a switch to open a door for character 2. Or obstacles that are somehow only visible in the other screen, something like that.
No there's no any interaction between 2 levels. It was my first project using love framework and I am beginner programmer as well so I couldn't bother adding more features to the game. I was also low on time so I just wanted to finish the project so I can claim my certificate.

However, I like your idea for obstacles. In case I continue working on the game I will consider adding something like that.

Also added .love file in first post