Secret Delivery 2 - A Pokemon-styled Christmas game (Playable in browser)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
alesan99
Citizen

Secret Delivery 2 - A Pokemon-styled Christmas game (Playable in browser)

Post by alesan99 »

I3hA5wH.png
I3hA5wH.png (59.98 KiB) Viewed 845 times
Secret Delivery 2
Deliver presents to every house without getting caught!
Made as a sequel to my 2016 game Secret Delivery. This time its styled after the Nintendo DS pokemon games!

This game was made in 15 days as part of my tradition to make a game every December. I started in 2014 so this my 8th December game!
Worked as fast as I could but I still missed Christmas oops. As such I skipped out on stuff like customizable controls and downloadable versions but I may revisit this at a later date.
Feel free to check it out in the itch.io link below, and scroll down to see the controls and credits.

Play the game in-browser:
https://alesan99.itch.io/secret-delivery-2

Screenshots:
ggKAi1a.png
ggKAi1a.png (18.49 KiB) Viewed 827 times
NEZgfTy.png
NEZgfTy.png (18.09 KiB) Viewed 827 times
X4qJuYk.png
X4qJuYk.png (13.11 KiB) Viewed 827 times
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Re: Secret Delivery 2 - A Pokemon-styled Christmas game (Playable in browser)

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Woah, Santa Pokémon. And it's 3D. Nice. Really good improvements from Secret Delivery 1 :3
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

The web version gives an error for me.
Am i blind or is the download version missing?
obey
alesan99
Citizen

Post by alesan99 »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:30 pm Woah, Santa Pokémon. And it's 3D. Nice. Really good improvements from Secret Delivery 1 :3
Thanks!
BrotSagtMist wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:56 pm The web version gives an error for me.
Am i blind or is the download version missing?
Could you tell me what the error said? I could possibly fix it still.

And no I hadn't put any downloads yet, I got them up now though!
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

I think my browser just doesnt like shaders: "Cannot link shader program object" is the error.

The .love file actually doesnt work either when a controller is plugged in. Complains about DEADZONE missing.
Looks fun tho, but i wont try playing it on a keyboard due carpal tunnel problems.
obey
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

BrotSagtMist wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:30 am I think my browser just doesnt like shaders: "Cannot link shader program object" is the error.

The .love file actually doesnt work either when a controller is plugged in. Complains about DEADZONE missing.
Looks fun tho, but i wont try playing it on a keyboard due carpal tunnel problems.
Same for me:
"WebGL warning: linkProgram: Uniform `projectionMatrix` is not linkable between attached shaders."
And "main.lua:493: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'DEADZONE' (a nil value)"
Maybe better idea for input handling will be use something like baton (https://github.com/tesselode/baton) instead of mashing together all of that "if else" monstrosity that should handle gamepads...
Seriously, there like 5 level deep "if else" statements
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Yea, *cough*
I am actually writing input handling for me right now so ive peeked into this for comparison.
Not to sound rude to someone who made a great game here but, what am i looking at?
obey
alesan99
Citizen

Post by alesan99 »

GVovkiv wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:39 am Same for me:
"WebGL warning: linkProgram: Uniform `projectionMatrix` is not linkable between attached shaders."
And "main.lua:493: attempt to perform arithmetic on global 'DEADZONE' (a nil value)"
Maybe better idea for input handling will be use something like baton (https://github.com/tesselode/baton) instead of mashing together all of that "if else" monstrosity that should handle gamepads...
Seriously, there like 5 level deep "if else" statements
BrotSagtMist wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:59 am Yea, *cough*
I am actually writing input handling for me right now so ive peeked into this for comparison.
Not to sound rude to someone who made a great game here but, what am i looking at?
In the words of the comment right above that code:

Code: Select all

--badly rushed joystick implementation, no really, there's a lot of hack-y stuff here
--TODO: Improved a tiny bit, but still redo this
The game isn't supposed to have gamepad support at all but I forgot to remove that when I copy-pasted stuff from a previous game of mine (since I made this in the span of 15 days.. and still missed christmas). I've removed that code now.

Sadly I'm not going to add gamepad support at this time but I appreciate the interest in the game nonetheless!
BrotSagtMist
Party member

Post by BrotSagtMist »

Now i finished it anyway, took 6 minutes. Entertaining.
obey
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

alesan99 wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:12 am Sadly I'm not going to add gamepad support at this time but I appreciate the interest in the game nonetheless!
I mean, using input manager in any case would be more beneficial. Even if you never planned gamepads in mind, because any sane input manager will bind gap between gamepad and keyboard/mouse. It matter of editing config with binds. And it will just make code more organized, so it will be easier to tell where inputs come from and when.