Game I made in 1 Hour

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Sammm
Prole

Game I made in 1 Hour

Post by Sammm »

Hello!

Recently I participated in a competition where a team of 3 would go against me making a game. Here's the game I made, exactly in 1 hour:
60Min.love
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 207 times
Controls: Left & Right Arrows to move, Up Arrow to jump, Down Arrow to smash an enemy
Screenshot 2022-10-02 3.28.37 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-10-02 3.28.37 PM.png (76.96 KiB) Viewed 4507 times
Enjoy! ^^
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life
dusoft
Party member

Re: Game I made in 1 Hour

Post by dusoft »

I tried to play it, but it looks buggy. First there is no way to get from horizontal position back to vertical, second stuff like this happens when enemies are spawned above you:
Attachments
Screenshot_20221010_213901.png
Screenshot_20221010_213901.png (20.88 KiB) Viewed 4298 times
Sammm
Prole

Post by Sammm »

Hey, thanks for responding! Since I didn't have time to add art, perhaps the game mechanics weren't demonstrated properly. When you're vertical, that means that an enemy touched you while you weren't slamming down, and you will fall over, meaning you lost and have to restart the game. And from the picture above, yes, enemies will spawn on top of you when you are dead; I didn't really have time to make an end screen. The only major bug then is if you start the game and an enemy spawns on top of you right away, spawn killing you, which can be annoying.
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Congrats for making something in 1 hour. However, I think it barely qualifies as a game. Maybe more a techdemo or something. To be a game it needs to more complete in every way which of course is not possible in one hour.

-you can spawn on enemy and instantantly die without a chance
-no menu, meaning gameplay instantantly begins when the program is launched
-you can still smash down when dead
-no game-over screen/message
-there is no way to restart without closing the game
-the window does not fully fit my laptop screen

What did the 3-person-team create?
Sammm
Prole

Post by Sammm »

Yes, definitely, I agree with all that you said but it was the best I could do in 1 hour haha. A 2 or 3 hour challenge would be more interesting, since you would have time to add more of those important game elements that I couldn't add in 1 hour. Here's the 3-person-team's game: https://turbowarp.org/737865552/fullscreen
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life