Unexpected BUG in my first game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ICE NEURON
Prole

Re: Unexpected BUG in my first game

Post by ICE NEURON »

Andlac028 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:56 pm
Sammm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 pm Hey, could you attach a .love file so Linux users (such as me) could run the game?
Because of way the .exe is created (just binary appended .love file to .exe file), you can just run .exe file as .love file.
Thank you so much!!
ICE NEURON
Prole

Post by ICE NEURON »

ReFreezed wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:00 pm Whoops, I used LÖVE 11.x instead of 0.10.x to run the game, so the colors were messed up. Disregard my previous comment.
Hi ReFreezed,
Yes, this game is created by version 0.10.2. When I started to learn LÖVE, the tutorial is using the 0.10.2, and I just keep using this version for this game. I will upgrade the version and use 11 to do the next one. :D
ICE NEURON
Prole

Post by ICE NEURON »

Ross wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:43 pm
ICE NEURON wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm in my logic, I don't think that it should happen at that situation.
That's pretty much the definition of a bug: your code does something that you didn't expect, usually because of circumstances that you did not anticipate.

It's up to you to figure out exactly why the code did something "wrong" and fix it. Honestly, you should expect this to happen multiple times on a daily basis.
ICE NEURON wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:25 pm Actually I am bit confused about this, because I don't know how to do a complete test for whole game... :(
Having other people test your game is pretty crucial. Things may be different on different computers, operating systems, graphics cards, etc., and other people rarely play your game exactly the way you intended it to be played, so they may find bugs that you didn't. Ideally you find or hire people to invest some time to help you find the exact cause of the bugs. You should play and try your best to break your game yourself though, on a regular basis.

I tried it out a little bit, some feedback:
  • It's annoying that the the intro logo is not skippable and there's a delay when the main menu appears before you can use the buttons.
  • The basic movement controls are a bit cumbersome—you can't move diagonally, and horizontal movement keys always override vertical ones.
  • A lot of the time (but not always) your character jitters when you try to walk against a wall or other obstacle.
  • You get teleported into the bed at 0:55 AM even if you don't press any buttons, is this intentional?
Hi Ross,
First of all, thank you so much for your reply. I am so happy that some nice guy like you could give me any advice.
I actually did a couple of testing for this game, but I didn’t get any bug when I played the game on my device. When my friends told me that they got a kind of bugs, I just be like why I didn’t see them before. I think it is really important to do a complete testing but still figure out how to do that.
And I also want to reply to your feedback:
1. This is a good point! I should notice that if we can not skip the intro logo (I always do that when I play the game) I will make all video or conversation be skippable in future. That makes sense.
2. The movement is using sample logic for checking each arrow key. I don’t know what the best way is to change the logic, maybe always run the latest key. (For diagonal movement, I will add them in future, but in this game, I didn’t do that because I didn’t draw animation for them)
3. Yes, I know… I didn’t fix this part and it just use basic NPC AI processing to control. (Change the direction randomly in every 5 seconds)
4. Yes. You could sleep by interacting with your bed, but you will be moved into the sleep mode at 00:55 am.
ICE NEURON
Prole

Post by ICE NEURON »

milon wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:07 pm
Sammm wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:31 pm Hey, could you attach a .love file so Linux users (such as me) could run the game?
Linux user here. You can just open the .exe in Archive Manager (or similar) and you'll see the contents of the fused .love (aka fused .zip) file. ;)

EDIT: I didn't understand the symbols etc in the tutorial. I'll probably have to play it more to get it. But I'm experiencing strange issues like no text on the screen (aside from the tutorial screens), bunny sleeps on the floor instead of the bed, etc.

Also note your controls screen labels the button "RATURN" when it should be "RETURN". ;)
Hi milon,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I am so happy that you would like to try this game.

You said that there is an error: "no text on the screen (aside from the tutorial screens)", could you please do a screen for me please?

"I didn't understand the symbols etc in the tutorial" - Yes it is a bit of difficult to understand. It is because I didn't know how to explain them in a better way when I build this part. Maybe I should do a video to explain them. I am not sure are you still want to try or not? But if you have any question, I would like to explain to you more details.

Also note your controls screen labels the button "RATURN" when it should be "RETURN". ;) - HAHAHA My bad!! I will fix that soon. :crazy:
ICE NEURON
Prole

Post by ICE NEURON »

pgimeno wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:16 pm
milon wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:07 pmBut I'm experiencing strange issues like no text on the screen (aside from the tutorial screens), bunny sleeps on the floor instead of the bed, etc.
It's for Löve 0.10, which uses colours in the 0-255 range instead of 0-1. If you run it in 11.x all colours will saturate to white.

milon wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:07 pm Also note your controls screen labels the button "RATURN" when it should be "RETURN". ;)
Maybe that's an intentional pun? :)
Yes actually it confused me a couple of days. When I installed the Löve on other device with version 11, my game is broken. I was trying to fix that almost three days... :cry:

Maybe that's an intentional pun? :) --- HAHA I like your thought! But to be honest it is a mistake. Maybe I could do some intentional pun in future? Sounds interested HAHA :rofl:
Sammm
Prole

Post by Sammm »

ICE NEURON wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:17 am
Hi Sammm,
Because I never use Linux before, I didn’t export the Linux version. Do you still need the Linux version? I can learn and do it for you, but I can not check it works or not. :awesome:
Someone told me how to easily make the .exe file into a .love file, so I was able to run it.
Lua is LÖVE, lua is life
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

ICE NEURON wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:25 am Hi milon,
Thanks so much for your reply.
I am so happy that you would like to try this game.

You said that there is an error: "no text on the screen (aside from the tutorial screens)", could you please do a screen for me please?
Here's a few screenshots. Again, I'm a Linux user so I converted the .exe into a .love and ran it natively.
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-04-48.png
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-04-48.png (13.15 KiB) Viewed 3041 times
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-02-39.png
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-02-39.png (9.38 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

I also tried running the .exe through Wine (a Windows compatibility layer) and it displayed correctly, I think:
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-09-03.png
Screenshot_2022-09-26_13-09-03.png (9.32 KiB) Viewed 3041 times

I suspect the issue is a missing font - perhaps you assumed a regular Windows font would be present, but that's often not the case on Linux and Mac.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

milon wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:12 pm I suspect the issue is a missing font - perhaps you assumed a regular Windows font would be present, but that's often not the case on Linux and Mac.
As has been stated, you're running the wrong version of LÖVE. It should be 0.10.2 .

Also, LÖVE does not use, and cannot load, system fonts. By default LÖVE uses a font that's built into LÖVE itself. Trying to load a font file that isn't included in the game will result in a crash - not a render issue. What you're talking about is if a successfully loaded font doesn't include the relevant glyphs, which is not the issue here.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

LOL, yup! My bad then. I was wondering how a missing font didn't crash things. :crazy:
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

So what were these bugs that people ran into? The only problem I've found is that the screen is not centred once maximized, which I suspect has to do with using a fixed screen size.