Asteroid hunter

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Asteroid hunter

Post by ReFreezed »

That's better. The rotation is bearable now. :P

I ran into another issue though. After around 5-10 minutes into a run there was an asteroid right outside when I existed the shop, so I didn't move and just started mining. But soon the shop screen suddenly popped up, and I couldn't exit it. I could still buy stuff (until I had no money left) but the escape key did nothing.

I also tried saving after starting a game this time, and it showed "save failed" on-screen. I just unpacked the zip and ran the .love file as-is, as you instructed. I looked in the code and noticed you're using nativefs. You should be using love.filesystem.write and love.filesystem.read for save files. The nativefs library is just for accessing non-safe locations outside the standard game folders, which pretty much no game would ever need.

Also, a recommendation: put reverse/break on the S key as that's standard for going backwards in games using WASD for movement.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I can fix the shop thing. The ship spawns in contact with the shop so it instantly throws you back in. I'll adjust the spawn easy enough.

As for saving, it's probably a fused vs not fused problem.

The S key is used to centre the view on the vessel. If set the break onto S, what do you suggest I use for centering the camera? What would make the most sense? 'c' key?
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

I honestly don't find the current "center camera" functionality very useful since the game world is so small and I can very easily locate my ship. I think having it toggle between "follow the player continuously" and "freecam" would be more useful (and panning would automatically switch to freecam). As for what key, I dunno. 'c' seem fine. I'd rather have a button in the HUD to press since the game is played with the mouse anyway, including panning the camera.

As for the saving, I'll stress that you really should be using love.filesystem as it's guaranteed to always work.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Appreciate the feedback and for playing it for more than 60 seconds. :)

In the spirit of iterative improvements, v0.03 is attached:
  • Press 'p' to pause
  • F1 now opens the manual as a local HTML file (won't work if not fused)
  • Opening the manual pauses the game
  • The 'reverse' key has been changed from 'x' to 's'
  • The 'centre camera' button is now 'c'
  • Leaving the shop is now possible for extra large vessels.
AsteroidHunter.love
(22.92 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
Current project:
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Not sure if you tried to address any of what I mentioned but I still have the same problem with movement.

Reverse, Left, Right just does not seems to work at all.
Turn left and right begin to work with 4 seconds delay and then if I turn one direction and then the opposite direction it can take like 12 seconds to turn. By that time I hit any asteroid, no way to avoid collision. Feels completely broken/unplayable to me :(

I have never used the physics engine in Love2D, if it is not the intended behaviour wondering if the physics engine does not work equally the same on all devices/platforms or if you move, rotate the ship by certain pixel every frame instead of pixel over time and my PC is slower and that's why it does not move/rotate for me.

A new problem, when I start the game the menu and background drawn in the top left corner of the screen, not centered.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

ddabrahim wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:45 pm Reverse, Left, Right just does not seems to work at all.
These are upgrades you can buy for the ship. Also, the turning is simply that slow, not just for you. Nothing wrong with the physics simulation.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Those functions are upgrades you'll needd to buy.

So is fast turning. Perhaps the balance/meta is not yet correct.
Current project:
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Those functions are upgrades you'll needd to buy.
Would you really launch a space ship with no reverse and side thrusters to fly around asteroids? it's like selling a car with no steering wheel and just 2 tyres. If it was an unmanned mining drone controlled by an AI even that would say " f*** I quit this job, install me in to a carpet cleaner droid instead " :awesome:

I would recommend to at least include the reverse thrusters or reduce forward thrust and increase turn to be more balanced.
Or maybe allow me to control how much power I send to each thruster so then I can limit the forward thrust until I can afford more and better rotation and reverse thrusters to feel more balanced and give me more time to rotate and avoid collisions. But maybe it is out of the scope of the game.
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

Me and a friend just tried playing version v3, I recorded our attempts.
I think the game start is still confusing, with the unusual control scheme of using q and e to rotate and w/e doing nothing until upgrades are bought. Then add the LOS system, very low fuel/oxygen and basically we always died in a few minutes without achieving anything.
Is there even enough time to fly towards an asteroid, mine it, and return to the starbase?
I would be interested in seeing a video how this meant to be played.

https://youtu.be/OAqRn7IXk1g
https://youtu.be/GxtUB4tRzBE
https://youtu.be/pytAKFsRHWU
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

All three video's are private so I can't view them and I appreciate the lengths you and your friend went to. :)

Should I flash a message on the screen when those keys are pressed without upgrades? I could grant those items at the start but then there is no upgrade path and you've already won the game.

As for difficulty - it seems I need to adjust the balance when I simplify the oxygen system.
Current project: