Exemplar(A side project that became a game)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Marqueeplier
Prole

Exemplar(A side project that became a game)

Post by Marqueeplier »

It is a hack and slash endless game(for right now). I am just testing it out here before publishing it.
Attachments
exemplar.png
exemplar.png (166.26 KiB) Viewed 2466 times
game.love
the love 2d file
(12.39 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
exemplar test.zip
The game
(15.46 MiB) Downloaded 100 times
togFox
Party member

Re: Exemplar(A side project that became a game)

Post by togFox »

Looks very polished. :)
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Hugues Ross
Citizen

Post by Hugues Ross »

Some feedback:
  • Delta time isn't being handled properly, it's only accounted for in some parts of the movement code and on my PC this leads to things like the jump button launching me into the stratosphere. Unfortunately this makes the game unplayable for me, so I can only comment on the aesthetics. You can probably fix this by changing the part of player:movement where you actually update the x and y values to take dt into account, looking up integration formulas for game physics may be of use here!
  • Currently the buttons in the menu are pretty difficult to read when there's dark parts of the terrain behind them. It would really help to have some sort of background on those by default even if it's translucent.
  • Your foreground assets are very blurry compared to the bg... looking at the assets it doesn't look like an issue with the tileset, but rather poor upscaling & exclusion when you made the map graphics. If you still have the original-size versions I recommend re-scaling them with nearest-neighbor filtering to keep them from looking blurry.
marclurr
Party member

Post by marclurr »

The .love file doesn't run for me, I get the following stacktrace:

Code: Select all

Error: menu.lua:12: bad argument #2 to 'newSource' (string expected, got no value)
stack traceback:
        [love "boot.lua"]:345: in function <[love "boot.lua"]:341>
        [C]: in function 'newSource'
        menu.lua:12: in function 'load'
        main.lua:7: in function 'load'
        [love "callbacks.lua"]:136: in function <[love "callbacks.lua"]:135>
        [C]: in function 'xpcall'
        [love "boot.lua"]:361: in function <[love "boot.lua"]:348>
        [C]: in function 'xpcall'
I was able to run the .exe though. It looks very nice (aside from the image filtering issues mentioned by Hugues Ross). Gameplay wise the movement feels really slippery and there were some instances where the character wouldn't attack after the first slash so I just kept being annihilated by the enemy. If you managed to get the character movement and attacking to feel nice and tight I bet it would be a lot of fun.
Ross
Citizen

Post by Ross »

It's bundled with Löve 0.9.2, which explains the error trying to run the .love file. There were a couple simple updates that allow it to run with Löve 11 (like adding the second argument to newSource()), but then the main menu was glitching oddly, so I didn't dig too far. The .exe ran, though I got the same issues as Hughes Ross, so it wasn't really playable unfortunately.