STACKR-X

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
TurboYeti
Prole

STACKR-X

Post by TurboYeti »

Hey guys, I just released my first love2d game! It's called STACKR-X and it's a Tetris clone inspired by the NES and Gameboy versions. It has singleplayer and local multiplayer modes and keeps track of your highscore.

The multiplayer mode is a head-to-head game mode where each player has their own board and gets the same tetrominoes in the same order and the player with the highest score wins.

Thanks for checking out my first love2d game! I'd love to hear any feedback and your highscores :)

Download it here: https://turboyeti.itch.io/stackr-x
My latest project: STACKR-X
My itch.io page
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Re: STACKR-X

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Very nice and simple, I really liked the colors altough tetris without any music or ambience feels a little off.
I'm way too sober for this...
TurboYeti
Prole

Post by TurboYeti »

Thanks for checking it out :)

I definitely lack skills in music theory and composition, although maybe I could find some free music that would fit well.
My itch.io page
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

opengameart, google that
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

This forum has free music but probably not free sound effects.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
GVovkiv
Party member

Post by GVovkiv »

togFox wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:38 am This forum has free music but probably not free sound effects.
yes, because https://freesound.org/ exist
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I think Eric Matyas is the local loveforum music dude:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=81984

Yup, it is a tetris.
I got a score of 45145 until I tried to place a block by "sliding on the ground" and it was locked faster than I thought it would. Does the lock-time decrease in higher levels?
Personally I am not a fan of playing tetris for highscore because the early levels always feel so slow.
I prefer "race mode" where you try to clear a certain number of lines in shortest time possible.
I think that also might be more interesting for local multiplayer?

When the "Game Over" screen appears it is possible to accidentally instantly start a new game if you are still trying to place a block and press "n" to rotate it.
Why sdfe controls for player 2 and not wasd plus q and e to rotate? I think that feels more logical because many gamers know it from FPS-games.
Also player 2 might by accident hit the rotate-keys for player 1? (x&e is close to sdfe) Maybe just have one set of rotate-keys instead of the two alternatives.

Even better add gamepad support!
I think there are not many falling-block games on the PC with local MP, so that could be something to make it stand out.
TurboYeti
Prole

Post by TurboYeti »

knorke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:57 am Does the lock-time decrease in higher levels?
Yeah, a piece locks whenever it attempts to move down, but can't. So, at higher levels its fall timer is shorter.
knorke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:57 am Personally I am not a fan of playing tetris for highscore because the early levels always feel so slow.
I prefer "race mode" where you try to clear a certain number of lines in shortest time possible.
I think that also might be more interesting for local multiplayer?
I agree that early levels can be kind of boring. I'm working on an update that will add options so you can choose your game mode (Endless or 25 Lines), starting level (so you can start at higher speeds), and garbage height for the 25 Lines mode. Oh, and possibly adding some music.

I'm thinking the 25 Lines mode will still be score based though, rather than time based. As for multiplayer, I think it would also be fun to implement the garbage battle mode from the Gameboy version.
knorke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:57 am When the "Game Over" screen appears it is possible to accidentally instantly start a new game if you are still trying to place a block and press "n" to rotate it.
Good catch! I'll add a short delay before accepting input on gameover.
knorke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:57 am Why sdfe controls for player 2 and not wasd plus q and e to rotate? I think that feels more logical because many gamers know it from FPS-games.
I wasn't really sure what the standard was for local multiplayer on the same keyboard, so I looked at what the defaults are on the Pico 8. There's also numpad alternatives for player 2, which is what I use when my wife and I play. I also think it's easier to control when you use one hand to move and one hand to rotate, especially at higher speeds. But yeah, I should look into gamepad support.

Anyways, thanks for playing and the feedback! :)
My itch.io page
TurboYeti
Prole

Post by TurboYeti »

Hey guys, I just released an update with lots of new content and features!

Some of the highlights of the new update are a new multiplayer battle mode (similar to the Gameboy), a new singleplayer "25 Lines" mode, support for gamepads, and music!

You can download it here, and a full changelog is available here. Thanks for all the feedback! :)
My itch.io page
knorke
Party member

Post by knorke »

I think "25 Lines" should be based on time.
highscore:
75476 / level 14 / 145 lines