[FINISHED] Wake Up Call

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
MZ|One
Citizen

[FINISHED] Wake Up Call

Post by MZ|One »

Hi everyone,

I've started to develop a short game about a man that tries to wake up from a coma. Basically, it is a series of mini riddles that correspond to processes that are going on in the man's mind as he tries to wake up. In the end, you will wake up.

I am about halfway done with the game - I want to add several more levels and polish all those that are done. In the final game, you won't know beforehand that you are inside a comatose man's mind; you will have to figure that out from the clues that will become more clear as you progress within the game.

I'd love to know what you think.

================ UPDATE: GAME FINISHED ================
The game is finished now. You can download the final version here.
If you run Windows, download the Windows distribution, which runs in a borderless window. Otherwise, there's the love file.
[Download Windows distribution] [Download .love]

Here's the download link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/59488139/WakeUp ... _v0.1.love

Also, I've been reported that the game crashes sometimes. Does that happen with you too? Can you run this OK?

Thanks!

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Last edited by MZ|One on Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
kesac
Prole

Re: [WIP] Wake up call

Post by kesac »

To people who stumble upon this thread: this a game that focuses on providing an experience and some people may not find it "fun" in any straightforward sense. It is much more abstract than the typical games you see posted around here, and it's for that reason you should give it a try.

Here are my thoughts:
  • The most memorable parts for me were the word association puzzle and the intro.
  • Least favourite parts were the maze puzzles. I think it would be an improvement if you made the cursor larger and easier to see.
  • I like that you weren't reusing puzzles (too much) and I think this will be critical in keeping players' interest high enough for them to play through the entire game.
  • Long periods of silence is not ok when you're not relying on engaging gameplay to draw the player in. Visuals are good (great intro) but I think you should break the silence more even if it's just more atmospheric sounds in the background and not normal music.
Good work, I liked it, and please remember to tell us all when it's done : ). It ran fine for me on 64-bit Windows 7.
Have you met the Child of Winter?
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

Thanks! Most people seem to like the word association best. I've made the maze cursor a little easily visible and it works better. About the sounds - you're absolutely right, I do count to use more of them (exactly as you said - mostly hospital ambient sounds etc.), it sometimes seems kinda hollow at this point.

I'm glad you like it! I'll keep posting the next versions here as I will have them.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

I kindof liked it (didn't finish - I bore quickly about memory games).

40 mbs seems a bit excessive - especially when half of that is spent in the 1-second "flash" during the intro.
When I write def I mean function.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

I would suggest using conf.lua to set your game window size and caption initially; try not to do it afterwards. It makes for an awkward transition.

I get this far, and the the game locks up with no error message:
r8BLk.png
r8BLk.png (120.88 KiB) Viewed 496 times
64bit Ubuntu 10.04 with love 0.8.0 compiled from source.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Same here, Ubuntu 12.04 x86 with LÖVE downloaded from PPA
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
MZ|One
Citizen

Post by MZ|One »

Thanks. Do you have any ideas about how to track down these lockouts/crashes? I mean: it works OK on several Win7 computers, but I've been told that it crashes on some other Win7 computers to the point that it can't be played. Now it seems to have problems on Ubuntu, but it's hard to figure out what the patricular Ubuntu problem can be, moreover without Ubuntu.

I would assume that since it mostly works OK, there's some incoherency in LOVE behavior across OSs/machines. Is there a way to point LOVE developers to this, so that they can track it down? What else could I do?

Also, thanks for the other feedback, I appreciate it.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

It's most probably something you are doing, it seems to enter an infinite loop at some random point, from what I could tell. Unfortunately the codebase was too large to quickly determine what would cause it.
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Souhnds interesting... I like the concept!
But hey approx. 40 mb, huuge. :death:
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

I just get the standard pig and hearts screen :/