Untitled unfinished space shooter game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
grump
Party member

Untitled unfinished space shooter game

Post by grump »

????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by grump on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:06 am, edited 5 times in total.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: Untitled unfinished space shooter game

Post by pgimeno »

Interesting game. I like the graphics.

I see some weird things. Note this isn't my favourite genre so take my comments with a grain of salt. The biggest major problem is that the shots are off by a significant amount when shooting diagonally (they're OK when shooting horizontally or vertically). See cursor vs shot angle:
ShotAngleOff.png
ShotAngleOff.png (56.89 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
Why do you have such a sophisticated crosshair if the shots are going in a different direction anyway? :)

It feels strange that enemies just come off the walls, and it's not clear how many there are or why. This could perhaps be solved by having visible, destructible spawners; à la Descent except for the destructible part. Perhaps even protruding from the walls. Then enemies have a reason to keep coming, until you destroy all spawners.

It also feels strange that there's no gravity for you but there is for the guys to rescue, and that you can rescue guys when hovering in any position including upside down. Which leads to the controls. The control system is interesting; however, it has the problem that there's no way to pivot over yourself, which would be needed if you have to hover while facing upwards (unless there's gravity). I thought about Battle Zone-style controls: allow forward/back engines on both sides, but then how do you use the mouse? Hmm. Perhaps make the left/right arrows activate the reverse thruster for the other direction, except when the up arrow is pressed at the same time.

And of course there's no scoring system that lets you brag about how good you are ;)

One idea is to make the little guys killable. I see they get scared when you shoot at them (it's not clear if there's some other condition, because sometimes shooting directly at them doesn't make them run), but maybe also kill them when running over them.

Graphically, the smoke is great. I only miss some kind of flame that comes before the smoke for added realism.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by grump on Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

grump wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:53 pm I think this is a bug with the screen scaling or aspect ratio. I guess your screen is not 1920x1080? I didn't test much with different resolutions.
No, it's 1280x1024.
mathSnail
Prole

Post by mathSnail »

where do I download the file?