Emo Quest XD Demo - A Colorful Retro JRPG Adventure!

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
pbmn
Prole

Re: Emo Quest XD Demo - A Colorful Retro JRPG Adventure!

Post by pbmn »

I've just updated the Demo to version 1.0.1, with minor adjustments and fixes! Now there's an option in the Option Menu to change from Xbox to Switch gamepad type (and Xbox is now the default one). Other things kinda noticeable are some sprite fixes, a new sign at the beginning, and the Status Menu arrows. I'll probably only update this Demo later on after some more feedback and things like that if there's enough info to adjust. Really, thank you all so much for pointing these things out! It really helps a lot to know exactly what should be done!
Semper Solus
Prole

Post by Semper Solus »

This is a longshot, and an answer of "no" is perfectly acceptable, but do you have plans of letting us view the .love file?

I, personally, am also trying to make a grid-based RPG, and one of the hardest things to do is get started.
It would nice to see the inner workings of another, similar game to steal learn from.
Last edited by Semper Solus on Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Semper Solus wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm do you have plans of letting us view the .love file?
You can open the exe like a .love/.zip file.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

When I try that it says something like the zip file is invalid
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

Well, it works in 7-Zip with no problems. Any correctly fused executable is a valid .zip file.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
pbmn
Prole

Post by pbmn »

Semper Solus wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:24 pm This is a longshot, and an answer of "no" is perfectly acceptable, but do you have plans of letting us view the .love file?

I, personally, am also trying to make a grid-based RPG, and one of the hardest things to do is get started.
It would nice to see the inner workings of another, similar game to steal learn from.
Hey! I really don't reccomend looking through my code, it's super ultra messy in some way or another. But anyways, you can always ask me how I did things and I can explain in a better understandable way if you are interested! xD I can even send better organized snippets of certain parts if you want to. But all I can say is that making an RPG is super hard, coding the base engine took me about 6 months (free time only). All I ask is to not 100% copy it as it would not feel that alright, as long as your project is definitely different maybe some parts, just ask me how I did things :D again cause by copying it you'd be copying all my mistakes, which could be better handled if you asked me about the steps first.

Grid Based RPGs are awesome, the world needs more of these, I'll try to stay active here so I can answer your questions and stuff!!!

After finishing this project, I'll consider making a lib for this type of game, all better organized, with better var names and stuff, but really, there're already thousands of lines there. It would be too troublesome to understand all that.

I'd say to get started, first model how your game files should be, like will you have a battle module, an overworld module? How maps will be handled? Will there be multiple characters? If some small things like that are decided first on paper, it will make your life easier later.

But obviously, I own my art sprites, so no copying those, not that you'd do such thing lol

Again, just ask me how I did something, that I can explain in details. BTW I actually live stream some development, so you can go into there if you want to ask something directly of how it was done.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

ReFreezed wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm Well, it works in 7-Zip with no problems. Any correctly fused executable is a valid .zip file.
One exe file I had ran as a .love but failed to open as a zip :(
pbmn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm ...Yeah, sure ...
Cool dude :)
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
pbmn
Prole

Post by pbmn »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:21 pm
ReFreezed wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:57 pm Well, it works in 7-Zip with no problems. Any correctly fused executable is a valid .zip file.
One exe file I had ran as a .love but failed to open as a zip :(
pbmn wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:09 pm ...Yeah, sure ...
Cool dude :)
I didn't say "Yeah sure" directly lolz, I've recommended tons of stuff but you get it xD
You can message me on discord anytime too if anything, I can help you start the project and things like that.