Create studio

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
alphafire7X
Prole

Create studio

Post by alphafire7X »

Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well I have a question by the way I have been coding with love2D for 2 years and I would like to know is it possible to create your studio based on this framework?
Darlex
Party member

Re: Create studio

Post by Darlex »

I have absolutely no idea about how the real world of bussiness works, but why not? love2d is great
Hi! I wish you have an amazing day!
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

There have been several commercially released games that were made in LÖVE by teams (or "studios"), if that's what you're asking.

You don't create your business around LÖVE - you use whatever tools you need to make your business work, whether it be LÖVE or whatever else.

(Also, this forum is for things people have made. Use the General or Support forums for questions.)
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

Not sure why do you have to ask this question if you have 2 years experience with LÖVE, but I can't personally see any technical or legal limitations that would prevent anyone from using LÖVE in a Studio environment for commercial projects. Judging from the projects people are showcasing, LÖVE is very capable.
If what you are asking is that if you could make a GameMaker, Godot, Unity type of tool based on LÖVE, I can't see why not.

The license is permissive. All libraries used in LÖVE including Lua is under the MIT license which pretty much allow you to use it and redistribute it in anyways you want.
LÖVE itself is distributed under the zlib license that also allow you to use and even redistribute LÖVE in anyways you want. The only restriction is that you can not claim that you are the original author of LÖVE, you need to give credit where due and if you are using a custom build of LÖVE you can no longer call it LÖVE and claim that your modified version is the original. You need to make that clear if you are using custom build and not the original LÖVE.
Your license distributed with the source and your project, also need to reflect this.
Your modifications in the source don't have to be shared, your project don't have to be open-source.

So yeah, I don't think there is any limitation that would prevent anyone from being able to use LÖVE for whatever purposes they want to.
Even when it comes to technicals, LÖVE is written in C++ so you can certainly find devs to work on the engine if needed and Lua is also popular, many game engines, frameworks use it so you can also certainly find devs to work on the game.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

ddabrahim wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 am The license is permissive. All libraries used in LÖVE including Lua is under the MIT license which pretty much allow you to use it and redistribute it in anyways you want.
Not all, and not MIT. Look more closely. https://github.com/love2d/love/blob/master/license.txt

So-called "MIT license" (which is an ambiguous term because the X11 license is different and has also been called "MIT license"; it's actually the Expat license) doesn't impose restrictions on how you call the software; it's the ZLIB license and some variants of the BSD license that do. Many of the libraries used by Löve use that one. A couple libraries (libmpg123 and OpenAL) use the LGPL. A few libraries use BSD licenses.

In all cases, though, complying with the license just boils down to including license.txt in the distribution if you're not using modified versions. Using modified versions of LGPL libraries is a bit more involved; you need to provide the modified sources. If you want to distribute modified versions of OpenAL or libmpg123, you better read the license in detail.
ddabrahim
Party member

Post by ddabrahim »

pgimeno wrote:it's actually the Expat license
Thank you for the correction, I didn't know there is actually a difference between MIT and MIT (Expat).
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

ddabrahim wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:11 am Thank you for the correction, I didn't know there is actually a difference between MIT and MIT (Expat).
It's more that "MIT" is ambiguous because it may refer to at least two different licenses: Expat or X11. See https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#Expat for more details.
alphafire7X
Prole

Post by alphafire7X »

Ah great guys and a big thank you to everyone, I will try my luck with motor, you opened my eyes and I thank you deeply
Have a good day everyone.