Rock Raiders inspired game

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Rock Raiders inspired game

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

Hey guys. Does anyone know the (old) LEGO Rock Raiders game? Playing this as a kid was blast! So I decided to create a similar game, except adding some tower defense-ish elements. (which I think the original game was missing out)
In case you don't know, you could explore caves with your Rock Raiders, use vehicles for faster mining, construct buildings and fight off some monsters and other threats.

So here is my take on the matter! Well, at least the current state of the game. Feel free to give it a try - I would love to hear some feedback!
There is so much more for me to add, but as of now I am already able to move through the two maps I've created so far and I already enjoy it very much. (Note that some buildings are not fully functional, the mobs are not truly hostile right now, some bugs are surely hiding somewhere ...)
screenshot 1.png
screenshot 1.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 10093 times
screenshot 3.png
screenshot 3.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 10093 times
Löve version: 11.3
Attachments
game.love
hover scout can now move over non-land again
(20.09 MiB) Downloaded 238 times
Last edited by mxmlnbndsmnn on Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Re: Rock Raiders inspired game

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

addendum: This game will create a folder in your APPDATA directory (windows) where you can save custom maps (and later, savegames will go there too...) plus it also allows you to choose the ingame language in the lang.lua file (English/German).
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

This is pretty cool! I sure remember this game. :) There were actually two version of Rock Raiders - this RTS game for PC and a top-down third-person game for console.

A few bugs:
- Using a hovercraft to move over water or lava will make the vehicle get stuck there (which looks kinda funny).
- The scroll speed setting kept resetting randomly for some reason.
- Editor crashes with "map_editor.lua:113: attempt to index a nil value".

Keep up the good work!
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

There were actually two version of Rock Raiders - this RTS game for PC and a top-down third-person game for console.
I only know the PC version, but that was enough to hook me in :)
Using a hovercraft to move over water or lava will make the vehicle get stuck there
Ahhh, I knew instantly why :D an "improvement" I made just today... will be fixed in a minute.
The scroll speed setting kept resetting randomly for some reason.
You can use right mouse click to reset a slider to the default value - could that be what you are experiencing?
Editor crashes with "map_editor.lua:113: attempt to index a nil value".
I will look into that. The editor is not really user-ready as of now, more a dev tool for me ;)
Can you tell me what you did before the crash? Did you load a map?

Thanks for your reply! Really happy someone remembers this great game.
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

It seems you can right-click any of the sliders in the menu even when the menu is closed.

This is all I do to get the crash.
- Run game.
- Open editor.
- Click "place walls".
- Click the first wall.
- Click anywhere in the world.
- Crash.

Code: Select all

Error: map_editor.lua:137: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
        [string "boot.lua"]:777: in function '__newindex'
        map_editor.lua:137: in function 'tick'
        utility/gameloop.lua:30: in function 'update'
        main.lua:246: in function 'update'
        [string "boot.lua"]:612: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:594>
        [C]: in function 'xpcall'
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

Thanks again, ReFreezed! Amazing how stupid such bugs seem after overseeing it for soo long ^^
I found what is wrong in the map editor and also with the sliders.
As for the latter, I already fixed it. I'll look into the map editor tomorrow. The problem lies in trying to use the tools (walls, terrain etc. on the left) before loading or creating a map. So if you want to try it out, just create a new map first (use mouse scroll to change the size) OR load one of the two existing maps. Cheers!
pirogronian
Prole

Post by pirogronian »

Look amazing! And I know it's simple, but anyway I feel somewhat lost, maybe because I dont know the original. Any basic manual avaliable? Or tooltips over every action buttons would be useful.
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

Or tooltips over every action buttons would be useful.
That's a good idea; thanks for the suggestion! I am working on tooltips already ;)
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

Back with an update :)
I've added a few icons and tooltips to make things more understandable (I hope).
Plus, I got rid of a few bugs (and protentially weaved in a few others).
There is also...
- a simple but sweet animation for the Fledder aka bat + they can also kill your Rock Raiders now!
- with those thought bubble thingys you can see what your Rock Raiders are doing; nice
- super simple "animated" buttons (when clicking)
- a user config keybind file (again in APPDATA) where you can see and edit keybinds (do not use the same key for different actions)
- you can magically look through walls to see what is hiding behind it
- lava has become more dangerous... watch out!
screenshot 4.png
screenshot 4.png (1.24 MiB) Viewed 9213 times
Again, I am super thankful for your feedback. Enjoy!
Attachments
game.love
(21.02 MiB) Downloaded 193 times
mxmlnbndsmnn
Prole

Rock Raiders inspired game - Update

Post by mxmlnbndsmnn »

It's been a while. I'm here with my advancements on my little game. As always, I fixed a few bugs and added some new :)

The most important progress: I created a random map generator. And boy do I like it. Of course it is not perfect but I spent quite some time just digging my way throug the randomly generated cave systems. Have a look! If you are interested in how I approached it, feel free to ask - I'll gladly give you some insight.
(note that you can explore these caves however you like, but there is no win condition implemented yet)
Considering your feedback, I added plenty more tooltips, though I know that some things are still not as self-explanatory yet (e.g. building costs, upgrade costs are not displayed so far... spoiler: all upgrades cost 5 ore - buildings and vehicles).

(you can skip the next part if you do not want to try it yourself anyway ^^)
Known issues/TODOs:
- you cannot play the maps you created in the built-in editor yet (although you can save them)
- of course the UI will be reworked greatly ... some time - the same counts for a lot of the ingame "models"
- for larger maps there might occur lags when the pathfinding algo takes too long - I'll have to figure something out for that

Made for löve version 11
Attachments
rock_raiders.love
(21.74 MiB) Downloaded 106 times