Simplex noise editor

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Simplex noise editor

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Not sure if this should go in tools and libraries section, but it's a creation I guess.

Part of Borkmen Project
A graphical tool, using gooi, that edits sinplex noise to see how it looks with different values. This could help if you want to use simplex noise but don't know which configuration to use, or if you just want to see see something cool :ultrahappy:.

Has basic simplex noise and simplex noise application that can be edited by editing files in "noise" folder.
To use the simplex noise application uncomment the second line in main.lua so that terrain = true :) . It can get a liiiittle bit buggy where zooming in on map(changing map size) doesn't zoom a particular part, but that's rare.(I think...I hope :P :rofl: )

Any problems or improvements please say! :P
Attachments
terrain=true
terrain=true
Screenshot_2021-06-27-10-40-26.png (384.94 KiB) Viewed 10512 times
Screenshot_2021-06-27-10-37-36.png
Screenshot_2021-06-27-10-37-36.png (121.38 KiB) Viewed 10513 times
simplexor.love
(1.13 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
Xii
Party member

Re: Simplex noise editor

Post by Xii »

Code: Select all

ii=i
What's going on here? :crazy:
simpleNoise.lua:158
Party member

Xii wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Code: Select all

ii=i
What's going on here? :crazy:
simpleNoise.lua:158
:ultrahappy: :rofl: :P . I have no idea.
It was just a quick editor I threw together a while back, but I tried to clean it up a bit. Though I think that's a case of Rogue-global-variablenzia, very serious illness. :crazy:

milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Depending on your use case, simplex noise is a fine starting point but it doesn't usually create nice/believable terrain. If you're happy with what you're getting, then ignore the rest of this post. :)

Assuming your noise range is 0-1, you can easily get nicer noise by subtracting 0.5 and then taking the absolute value (or squaring). That gives you a nice valley/river to work with. Alternatively, you can do 1 minus the above bit and you'll get a decent mountain range instead.

I've played with procedural noise maps quite a bit, and the approach I currently prefer involves a simplex noise base, octaves (adding together multiple noisemaps for finer detail), and using a "local average" (rather than a global cutoff) to determine water/land/mountain.
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
Party member

milon wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:49 pm Depending on your use case, simplex noise is a fine starting point but it doesn't usually create nice/believable terrain. If you're happy with what you're getting, then ignore the rest of this post. :)

Assuming your noise range is 0-1, you can easily get nicer noise by subtracting 0.5 and then taking the absolute value (or squaring). That gives you a nice valley/river to work with. Alternatively, you can do 1 minus the above bit and you'll get a decent mountain range instead.

I've played with procedural noise maps quite a bit, and the approach I currently prefer involves a simplex noise base, octaves (adding together multiple noisemaps for finer detail), and using a "local average" (rather than a global cutoff) to determine water/land/mountain.
Nice! The editor does have octaves. Yeah, but you can't add certain stuff, like rivers without special extra things. This aims to help any one who wants to work with simplex noise to know which values will be better.
Yeah, simplex noise is easy to implement and can go on forever, getting the tile value of a certain point at run time, like minecraft.

Voronoi(?)-diagrams or other methods can be used for more complex stuff, though I don't think they can go on forever but only generate a certain size allocated.