⭐Star Quest - Earthbound-inspired RPG!⭐

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
FreezyDude
Prole

Re: Star Quest

Post by FreezyDude »

An unused map
masterpiece.png
masterpiece.png (27.82 KiB) Viewed 14817 times
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

Unused?
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:13 pm Unused?
Yep... I've switched to a tile system like this one https://sheepolution.com/learn/book/18 some time after development of the game started, so that image went unused. However, yesterday when I found that long-forgotten image on my hard drive, and I've realized how beautiful and detailed it is compared to the game r.n., which has a tile system. I've decided to switch back to having a png as the whole map. But I'm not gonna use that particular image, because I'm gonna draw a new one from scratch according to that image's area's new layout
Party member

Hmmm...switching over to a tile system has its advantages, and if done well can have more detail(if the tiles are detailed, even if 16 bit). And they can also do stuff like: want to make the tile a little broken(maybe from impact) , just one section of a building/road, add a picture of a crack that's the same dimensions as the standard tiles(16x16? 32x32?) over the block(like minecraft, the more the damage, the more the cracks in the image). Want to crack another tile, do the same.
Or have some one use psychic powers to lift up/destroy a building. The tiles of the building will go up one by one into the sky.
Plus if you want to edit the map I think tilemaps and STI(check github if not known) make it easier. But whatever whatevs I guess :)

FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:42 pm Hmmm...switching over to a tile system has its advantages, and if done well can have more detail(if the tiles are detailed, even if 16 bit). And they can also do stuff like: want to make the tile a little broken(maybe from impact) , just one section of a building/road, add a picture of a crack that's the same dimensions as the standard tiles(16x16? 32x32?) over the block(like minecraft, the more the damage, the more the cracks in the image). Want to crack another tile, do the same.
Or have some one use psychic powers to lift up/destroy a building. The tiles of the building will go up one by one into the sky.
Plus if you want to edit the map I think tilemaps and STI(check github if not known) make it easier. But whatever whatevs I guess :)
That's true... but I'm making a turn-based RPG game, so a player-changeable environment isn't really a feature, therefore a tile system isn't as advantageous...

Edit: STI? Is that really what it's called? What's the thing with so many Love2D libraries having names that are sexual references?
Party member

It stands for Standard tile implementation I think :ultrahappy: . I didn't even see the reference until you mentioned it just now :rofl:

FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

Well… would you?
Party member

Wow, really getting in there. I hope this game has something in it to stand out(unless you're just doing this as practice) like funny and thought provoking plot and special gameplay(Undertale), or AI for most of the people so that they aren't just npcs for the player and do their own things and interactions (Skyrim? Maybe better than that since now its 2D.
Good luck!

Some pics for you:
Very basic. Just cyan toby. Seems pretty simple to convert. Not really complete( I ran out of time and space :? ), but has vague idea for toby. His side view now lines up too.
Attachments
sprites.zip
Some more sprites
(46.89 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
_down1.png
_down1.png (493 Bytes) Viewed 10797 times
toby.zip
(10.81 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
Last edited by Gunroar:Cannon() on Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:55 am Wow, really getting in there. I hope this game has something in it to stand out(unless you're just doing this as practice) like funny and thought provoking plot and special gameplay(Undertale), or AI for most of the people so that they aren't just npcs for the player and do their own things and interactions (Skyrim? Maybe better than that since now its 2D.
Good luck!
I'm not planning to add extremely unique mechanics or something, aside from unusual characters/dialogs and some little twists on the combat system.
FreezyDude
Prole

Post by FreezyDude »

Some monster designs for the sewers! What do you think?