Pixi - Evolution Simulator [WIP]

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
ImpTea
Prole

Re: Pixi - Evolution Simulator [WIP]

Post by ImpTea »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:25 pm
Side note, while you're updating, the bar at the side doesn't fit to the screen on android. You could maybe scale it with love.graphics.getWidth/getHeight,
Wait, you’re running this thing on Android? I didn’t even know it could do that haha. Regardless, scaling to the users screen should definitely go to the top of the todo list, thanks!
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

ImpTea wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:43 pm
Wait, you’re running this thing on Android?
:cool:
Just had to fix shaders on you're updated version(android glsl can't -or can to an extreme- differentiate between integer and floats, can't add integer and floats, can't subtract them, so I change all integers to floats, like 1 to 1.0) :rofl:
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
ImpTea
Prole

Post by ImpTea »

Gunroar:Cannon() wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:59 pm
:cool:
Just had to fix shaders on you're updated version(android glsl can't -or can to an extreme- differentiate between integer and floats, can't add integer and floats, can't subtract them, so I change all integers to floats, like 1 to 1.0) :rofl:
Ok, I'll have to pull my old android out of the drawer and do some testing and get it cleaned up. Thanks for the tip. Does that count for external variables I pass to shaders as well?
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

ImpTea wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:05 pm Does that count for external variables I pass to shaders as well?
I'm not sure(I don't use shaders alot and have bpthe bear minimum of knowledge on them), but I'll go for the safe option and say yes, though technically I think lua numbers are both integer and floats, so I also feel no.
(Warning: Android shader uses(atleast with my knowledge of translating it ) is limited :P ).
Looking forward to the next update!
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Some ideas:

- pixie's should move faster (or slower) as they get eaten (lose mass). This will impact their survivabilty (evade and eat more food) and that will impact their chances to reproduce and generate mutations. Make it a random attribute to see which serves them better.

- should they have an attribute (gene) that lets them regrow bits they lose? Those with the gene will regrow bits they lose and again impact their rate of survival.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
ImpTea
Prole

Post by ImpTea »

togFox wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:01 am Some ideas:

- pixie's should move faster (or slower) as they get eaten (lose mass). This will impact their survivabilty (evade and eat more food) and that will impact their chances to reproduce and generate mutations. Make it a random attribute to see which serves them better.

- should they have an attribute (gene) that lets them regrow bits they lose? Those with the gene will regrow bits they lose and again impact their rate of survival.
They actually do have a “repair” ability if they’ve taken damage. I notice that larger predator species will make use of it, but smaller food-gatherers typically don’t bother since their bodies are so small and they reproduce so quickly.

I’m not so sure about giving pixies with less mass more speed. All pixies have the ability to “boost” their speed at will, but it costs energy. A smaller pixi can boost more often because of it consumes much less energy. You’re right though, when a pixi takes damage or repairs itself it’s mass should update to reflect the change.
milon
Party member

Post by milon »

Here's another suggestion:
Different game modes. The current one is sort of a petri dish, where pixies are evolved & grown. Keep that! But add a second game mode where you take a collection of (saved?) pixies and drop them into a more dynamic "world". Up to you how to implement that and what it would look like (I don't really have any good ideas for the specifics), but it would be fun to send my favorite pixies off on an adventure. Maybe they'll encounter new foods, toxic substances, dangerous wild pixies, changing weather, day/night, mutagenic substances, etc, etc. Who knows - maybe they could even be scored based on how well they handle new environments, which feeds into high scores, achievements, etc.

EDIT - My uploaded P30 The Phage (page 1) is still quite successful/prolific/voracious in this latest version. :cool:
Any code samples/ideas by me should be considered Public Domain (no attribution needed) license unless otherwise stated.
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

You can build in genes that affect hunter/evader behavior. Vector maths can be your friend and help you build an important skill set.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season