For the last month(s) i've been working on a 2d JRPG similar to final fantasy 6. I've programmed the exploration and menu states in java, but i've decided to migrate the game to love2d, starting with something completely new to me: the battle system.
The battle system is a side-view (like final fantasy 1-6) turn based battle where characters with the highest speed will act first (like dragon quest). I've abandoned the idea to implement an ATB system because i feel like finding out the turn order and using it at your advantage is more rewarding than simply waiting for the ATB gauge to fill.
My initial idea was to have the whole engine running (exploration, menu and battle) with a little game demo before posting something, but since the work to do is still a lot and i need some extra motivation, i thought that some feedback would have been nice.
- Use WASD/arrows to navigate the menus
- Use spacebar/z/enter and other keys i don't remember to confirm selection
- Use escape/x/ins and other keys i don't remember to cancel selection
There also might be some placeholder texts in italian i didn't translate.
Things i need to do now:
- Refactor the battle class
- Implement AI: enemies are just spamming normal attacks at the moment
- Show statuses on the main window (yes, statuses are already there but there's still no skill that can cause them)
- Implement the level up system
- Add droppable items, gold and exp at the end of the battle
- Stop thinking that the work to do is too much for a single person
- Stop thinking at all probably
- Stop refactoring code every two days
- Adding animated character-like enemies (to do this i need to refactor some code)
And sorry for the bad english!
I don't own any media used in this demo: graphics too. I've just edited some RPGMaker2000 standard sprites to use them as placeholders.