SYL save your life

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
oldteen
Prole

SYL save your life

Post by oldteen »

Hello,

My first creation (prototype) with Löve : Save your life.
I've tried to give an arcarde feeling.

Each of your step, floor become lava. You have to go to the exit and collect gems, open chest, avoid/kill monster and avoid lava.

downloable for mac and window on itch.io https://astreed.itch.io/syl
MadByte
Party member

Re: SYL save your life

Post by MadByte »

Hello oldteen, welcome to the forums :cool:

Fun game, feels quite polished. A few things I noticed:
  • I managed to miss the exit quite a few times when it was on the left/right side, even with the green markers around it. At first I seemingly looked for some kind of visible hole in the wall or something. After realizing that the green markers are a thing it was quite easy to see though.
  • I'd enjoyed more variety while progressing the game like different kinds of monster ranges/attacks, moving monsters, maybe some floor tiles breaking when a monster jumped around or even some walls making up rooms to navigate through - that kind of stuff. As it is the gameplay get's lame pretty quickly.
  • The music transitions sometimes felt kinda choppy.
  • I didn't felt like the random generated levels added the variety (gameplay wise) it should have. I think hand crafted levels would suit the game better. Or a more complex level generator with more content.
  • As a linux user I missed having a *.love file straight away :P
All this stuff is pretty much complaining at a high level - I think for what it is the prototype is pretty solid and well made.
oldteen
Prole

Post by oldteen »

Thanks for you first report.

I agree with you for all points.
Now my goal it's to work on a more complexe map generator and a progressive gameplay.

Idea:
- first floor, no lava, no monster
- second floor I add lava and one or two monsters
- 5th floor and more, earthquake to make lava hole and stress player
- 10th full lava :halloween:
- 11th floor boss
- merchant to buy items (eart, weapon, boat, ...)
- a 5 floors challenge : maximum scores for x floors (5) local and mondial scores table

I will add .love for linux user
sphyrth
Party member

Post by sphyrth »

I love the look and feel of the game. It's something that I usually see with Godot projects.

My only suggestion is to also put a "How To" in the menu. I'm one of those "Play first, manual later" people... well, unless it's in the menu. The moment I got what the goal of the game was, I was pushing buttons really fast... only to wonder why I kept running past some gems.
oldteen
Prole

Post by oldteen »

this is a good suggestion, thanks!