Tiny Places

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Varkas
Citizen

Re: Tiny Places

Post by Varkas »

I feel uncertain what to write today ... I sure would like to write about big plans and a glorious future for the project. But it becomes harder and harder to motivate myself to work more on it. Sure there are some things which are missing, but on the other hand I feel kinda satisfied with what is there. Particularly in the graphics and sound department this surely is my best RPG attempt yet and besides the two public domain patterns that I used for the inventory view, all assets were made by myself, which kinda feels good.

So here is a video that shows everything that is in the game right now (except the map editor, which only is shown at the beginning but not demonstrated):

Even that is is designed to be multi player and everything is made this way, there is no way to log in to another server than "localhost" and with a default account. So that is just for me to feel satisfied with, but doesn't make any difference to a single player game.

But I want to say, Löve2d made coding the client quite a bit easier than what I had been used to (Java/LWJGL).
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
sofiaprimera124
Prole

Post by sofiaprimera124 »

hey brother, you're getting something great, I really don't know much about programming (and I only came to this forum to learn how to use love, so little by little I'm learning xd)
rohankakkar
Prole

Post by rohankakkar »

Can anybody give me a Github link if codes are available :death:
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

The code is here,
https://github.com/Varkalandar/tiny_places

I felt bored recently I decided to work some more on the project. Tried to complete the item handling code, got much of it done. An item catalog in CSV format, server side code for creating items, and the client side to handle and display items. Along with that I am working on a shift away from the fantasy theme to a more technical, sci-fi or steampunk style arena shooter for the battle maps. This is little more than an idea right now, the little more is an aircraft avatar and a laser cannon called a "blaster"
tiny_places-005-aircraft_inventory_2.jpg
tiny_places-005-aircraft_inventory_2.jpg (434.49 KiB) Viewed 16248 times
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

New map, dark technoland
Attachments
tiny_places-005-dark_technoland.jpg
tiny_places-005-dark_technoland.jpg (456.91 KiB) Viewed 16135 times
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

The theme change is going slow, but the are now two techno style maps, and a first new "enemy", a spiky drone for targetting practise. Map transitions have changed from stone portals to wormhole like structures. The currently empty lower part of the UI will be home of additional controls, once the functionality is there.

Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Basic drag and drop operations in the inventory screen work now. The coins act as a placeholder, till more interesting items have been added.

Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Made two new maps. Crystal Shards was the first, but it's very busy and will make it hard to see items on the ground or enemies. And this is even the low contrast version ...
tiny_places-005-crystal_shards.jpg
tiny_places-005-crystal_shards.jpg (510.73 KiB) Viewed 14218 times
The second Craterfield, was likely too much of the other way, very boring, but easier to read for the player.
tiny_places-005-craterfield.jpg
tiny_places-005-craterfield.jpg (419.54 KiB) Viewed 14218 times
Still need to work on more enemies and items for the game.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Not really liking such infrastructure work, but there were some dialogs needed. Game needs to know which server IP to connect to, player need to set up accounts and log in ...

I've kept the design of these dialogs simple, and mostly focused on the functionality. Seems to work all fine at the moment, found and fixed some quirks in multiplayer mode, when players joined maps through portals where other players already were present.

Connecting:
tiny_places-005-server.jpg
tiny_places-005-server.jpg (626.69 KiB) Viewed 13759 times
Login:
tiny_places-005-login.jpg
tiny_places-005-login.jpg (604.18 KiB) Viewed 13759 times
Account Setup:
tiny_places-005-account.jpg
tiny_places-005-account.jpg (605.8 KiB) Viewed 13759 times
At the moment there is only one player character per account, but this will change soon.
Varkas
Citizen

Post by Varkas »

Finally found a "natural" looking solution for having the maps isolated. Floating islands in sky, or here, space. Still need to rework all the maps and also ceate sky and space backdrops. But I think this will be better than the framed square maps that the game had before.
islands_1.jpg
islands_1.jpg (429.9 KiB) Viewed 5456 times