Devil Disco - 7DRL

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
hairmachine
Prole

Devil Disco - 7DRL

Post by hairmachine »

Hello!

I was participating in the 7 day roguelike challenge this week, and decided to use Love to make my entry: https://hairmachine.itch.io/devil-disco

It's a turn based tactics game on a small grid (in the vein of something like 868-Hack) where you move around a dancefloor, setting fires wherever you move and trying to trap demons while avoiding being trapped yourself. It also has demons that dance to the music, which is very important obviously.

I really had fun using Love for this project, what a great little engine. I'm not much of a fan of these big super systems like Unity etc. but Love really fit the bill nicely. Hopefully I'll make a few more projects with it!
ReFreezed
Party member

Re: Devil Disco - 7DRL

Post by ReFreezed »

Pretty cool little game. I did find myself wanting to undo a turn or two several times. I think the game would be better if is was a bit more puzzle-like rather than "rogue-like".
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
hairmachine
Prole

Post by hairmachine »

Hey, thanks for trying it out and for the feedback :)

By puzzle like I guess you mean more authored levels / situations? I could certainly see adding a puzzle / story mode as well as roguelike / arcade mode if I want to develop this further. I personally really like the randomly generated emergent situation stuff but I could definitely see a puzzle mode working too!
ReFreezed
Party member

Post by ReFreezed »

No, the randomness is fine. I meant the mechanics. Rogue-likes love to punishing the player for everything, but a puzzle game would just let the player change their mind about a choice and try a different strategy so they eventually can reach the solution of the situation. I liked the strategy part of the game, but not so much the punishment.
Tools: Hot Particles, LuaPreprocess, InputField, (more) Games: Momento Temporis
"If each mistake being made is a new one, then progress is being made."
sirmikon
Prole

Post by sirmikon »

This music is awesome! I love the devils' dances. So fun to watch! One of the guys in the demo is off beat though!
hairmachine
Prole

Post by hairmachine »

Yeah you're right! I think they should start in sync but might well get off the beat when respawning. Clearly a critical bug, unacceptable, fire the QA team

I'm probably going to extend this a bit once the voting period is over, add some new enemy types and other mechanics, so I will check out some kind of limited undo mechanic. Probably being able to do it infinitely would be too much (I want to make it at least possible to mess up) but I could see you having a few charges of undo, maybe getting a few more over time. Something like a lives system except with undo perhaps?