Do Console Dream of Romeo - Cyberpunk Strategy Chess

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
zjlbr2003
Prole

Do Console Dream of Romeo - Cyberpunk Strategy Chess

Post by zjlbr2003 »

This project is a submission to BOOOM! The 3rd GameShell Game Jam (2019Q3)(https://itch.io/jam/gameshell-19q3)

Homepage and download
https://zjlbr2003.itch.io/do-console-dream-of-romeo

Intro
Style: Cyberpunk/Strategy/Single player

Our game is a minimalist tactical game that contains elements from puzzle-platform games. It tells a story about a game console who falls in love with the player.

The goal of the game is to control Juliet, the humanoid game console, and Romeo, the man, to defeat all the enemies chasing them within the grid, and to finally find a paradise where there is no barrier between different species, and they can be in love freely.

In terms of the game mechanics, we Interpreted the theme ’SHIFT’ from aspects of ‘displacement’ and ‘switch’, players control the displacement of every movable units including the protagonists and the enemies within the grid using the arrow keys. Two protagonists have different skills and objectives, while players are able to launch skills to switch the location between them at any time in order to response to the constant challenges in the game. Our team members are ethusastic fans of Jonathan Blow, that we believe if we have these naturally and beautiful rules set up, the levels will come out of the way to us instead we build them artificially.

The whole experience of the game is similar to that of solving chess endgames, but in a much gentler way. While in the game, players will experience a journey of strategising and consolidating at every step.

We decided to employ the Cyberpunk artistic style for our game, adopting imagines like ’circuit board’, ‘electric conductors’ to represent our game scenes, while the whole scenes are full of dynamic effects and details; Musically, we employed electronic music aesthetics and styles that are more uplifting and dynamic to integrate closely with the artistic style and game mechanics.

Screenshots

Speical:
Remember to switch to Lima driver on Gameshell for better performance!

There’re special builds for windows on homepage, you can play it without a gameshell as well
bobbymcbobface
Citizen

Re: Do Console Dream of Romeo - Cyberpunk Strategy Chess

Post by bobbymcbobface »

Looks awesome :D
I make games that run on potatoes :P
justPeter
Prole

Post by justPeter »

The game looks good and has an interesting style that feels like a riff on the pudding monsters style of puzzle game, but I just couldn't get past the controls being so far apart on my keyboard and not what the game said they were. The controls were ok, but the key choice was maddening and the key to attack was U for me, not X.

It looks good and has gameplay potential, and I imagine it controls amazingly with a controller you just might want to fix it on keyboard.
pgimeno
Party member

Post by pgimeno »

Sounds like the "using isDown instead of isScancodeDown syndrome". Or the "using first instead of second parameter of keypressed" symdrome. Or both. Or none.