polyamory - Multi-version LÖVE

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
grump
Party member

polyamory - Multi-version LÖVE

Post by grump »

Yo dawg, I herd you like LÖVE games, so I put LÖVE in your LÖVE so you can play while you play!

polyamory is an experimental, portable LÖVE distribution for Windows and Linux that runs games written for every LÖVE version since 0.8.0.

When you run a game with polyamory, it looks at the version identifier the author hopefully put in his game and starts it with that LÖVE version. This works with games written for 11.x, 0.10.x, 0.9.x, and 0.8.0. If the game has no version information, it tries to detect what version the game was written for and asks which version you want to run it with, with a recommendation for the best matching version.

Yeah, I'm no designer

polyamory does not require installation. The Windows version can be used separately from your installed LÖVE, or you can replace the installed version with polyamory to run all LÖVE files with it. It already contains the fix for 11.1 that prevented it from starting on Windows 10 update 1809.

The Linux version is a standalone, self-contained AppImage that should work on all systems where LÖVE 11.1 works.

This is an experimental hack. I have only tested it with a few games. Most should just work, but there's probably a bunch of games out there doing weird shit in their conf.lua that breaks stuff. I'd love to hear about those games, so I can look at them and try to make polyamory more compatible. Report non-working games on Github or here!

Github repository

License: same as LÖVE

Download version 0.4.2
Last edited by grump on Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:56 pm, edited 10 times in total.
pgimeno
Party member

Re: polyamory - Multi-version LÖVE

Post by pgimeno »

Glad you made it! Great job.

Is 11.0 really necessary? It's just 11.1 with bad bugs that I doubt will be relied on by any program. I think it's safer to launch 11.1 when 11.0 is requested.

For the others I'm not sure. Even though newer revision versions are supposed to be compatible with older ones with the same major/minor version, and they won't complain about bad version, I know in particular that 0.9.2 broke some WAVs with respect to 0.9.1.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

pgimeno wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:48 am Glad you made it! Great job.
Thanks! Got it done much faster than I thought, mainly because I just wrote it in LÖVE instead of brushing up my rusted C++ skills.
Is 11.0 really necessary? It's just 11.1 with bad bugs that I doubt will be relied on by any program. I think it's safer to launch 11.1 when 11.0 is requested.

For the others I'm not sure. Even though newer revision versions are supposed to be compatible with older ones with the same major/minor version, and they won't complain about bad version, I know in particular that 0.9.2 broke some WAVs with respect to 0.9.1.
I don't think they're strictly necessary. I included all revisions for the sake of completeness and because I wanted to get it done fast and not waste time researching the implications of not having them. I can still drop them from later releases, provided there's anyone even interested.

Another questionable thing is that 11.1 is included twice, once for polyamory itself and once as an additional runtime for the games. I can probably bring it down to ~40% of its current size once it's properly cleaned up.
D0NM
Party member

Post by D0NM »

Thank you very much. I've tested it and found a bug in my code. Thanks to you )))
I'll be using it for 0.10.2 -> 11.1 migration.
Last edited by D0NM on Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our LÖVE Gamedev blog Zabuyaki (an open source retro beat 'em up game). Twitter: @Zabuyaki.
:joker: LÖVE & Lua Video Lessons in Russian / Видео уроки по LÖVE и Lua :joker:
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Improved some things in version 0.2.1. Only includes the latest revision of each release now and correctly passes command line arguments to the game.

Thank D0NM for testing!
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

New version 0.3 adds a bunch of previously missing libs for Linux, making older versions work on more distributions.

Also, new UI.

grump
Party member

Post by grump »

Updated to LÖVE 11.2.
HanaIndiana
Prole

Post by HanaIndiana »

Nice work! This is very useful.
Juckey
Prole

Post by Juckey »

Cool! This will make surfing old demos on the forums much easier.
czak
Prole

Post by czak »

Thanks, this is a great idea!

Unfortunately, I have some issues on Linux. Games for LÖVE 11 work fine, but for older games I'm getting the following error:

Code: Select all

/tmp/.mount_love.exMbEyE/usr/bin/love: error while loading shared libraries: libmng.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Is this something missing on my system?

I tried with e.g. https://kneeko.itch.io/oh-my-giraffe as well as some older demos from the forum.