CyberFrame - a platformer with the word 'Cyber' in its name

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

CyberFrame - a platformer with the word 'Cyber' in its name

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

What is CyberFrame?
CyberFrame is in many ways a spiritual successor to one of my previous games SH1FT. In CyberFrame you run, jump and dodge missiles, bullets, spikes and bottomless pits in order to reach the exit. As platformers go this is all pretty much standard.

Download
CyberFrame V1.0.love
(12.39 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
A bit about this game's development
tl;dr - It's just me going on and on about how the game isn't the polished gem that I'd hoped it would be. Maybe its for the better if you just scroll down to the screenshots.

Some of you reading this might be wondering why this game is being released so close to H0ard3(), and if you've played SH1FT you would probably see and/or feel a lot of similarities between this and SH1FT. The reason why I like to call this a spiritual successor is because I started this project right after SH1FT was released back in early april and I did so with the goal to mitigate a lot of the problems that SH1FT had as well as to overcome some of the limitations that I had to work with while developing SH1FT.

I thought the best way to do this was by starting over from scratch essentially rewriting every single piece of code that I could've copy-pasted from SH1FT as well as building my own leveleditor that allowed me to build more organic levels using a tilebased system rather than having to write the levels by hand. It wasn't until roughly two months into development that I realized that CyberFrame suffered from many of the symptoms that plagued SH1FT that include but are not limited to: questionable physics, a collision system that like to make excuses and that one glitch that made the player shake around for a bit when you jump to a higher elevation if the game was running below 200 fps.

It was at this point I ended up working on other projects roughly 80% of which were eventually cut. It wasn't until recently that I managed to pull myself together and put the finishing touches to CyberFrame. The thing is... the game is still pretty quirky. To summarize, It's far from broken or unplayable but it's still not that triumphant victory over the stuff in SH1FT that nearly drove me mad.

Screenshots
I'm way too sober for this...
Ulydev
Party member

Re: CyberFrame - a platformer with the word 'Cyber' in its name

Post by Ulydev »

Very cool. I was surprised by the physics at first but you get used to it. Great job.
Sulunia
Party member

Post by Sulunia »

Sometimes, you just "die" for no apparent reason... Maybe i'm missing something? Or is it a bug? Merely standing in the spawn kills me after a bit.
Don't check my github! It contains thousands of lines of spaghetti code in many different languages cool software! :neko:
https://github.com/Sulunia
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

I'm not used to platformers with fixed jump height, and the auto-rejump when still on the jump key was weird for me too - but it's still a pretty cool game with nice level design! Well done!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Hydrogen Maniac
Citizen

Post by Hydrogen Maniac »

Sulunia wrote:Sometimes, you just "die" for no apparent reason... Maybe i'm missing something? Or is it a bug? Merely standing in the spawn kills me after a bit.
The game thinks that you're inside a tile when you're actually on top of it. I tried to fix this glitch by tweaking the invisible death boxes inside of the tiles. I'll try to fix it for V1.1.
I'm way too sober for this...
whitebear
Citizen

Post by whitebear »

It's good, reminds me of N
http://www.thewayoftheninja.org/nv2.html