FlyCatch v0.0.3

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Xcmd
Party member

Re: FlyCatch v0.0.3

Post by Xcmd »

Any time you have "evolution" and "open-ended play" you're going to hear "sounds like Spore". I wouldn't know. Perhaps I copied Spore's exact concept, I don't know. I have never played it. But I'm still willing to give this a try. And, honestly, nothing says I have to keep the concept of "small creature evolves." I can always go with "guy levels up", and still retain the same battle system. :D

Anyway, that all sounds pretty defensive of me, but I figured I'd get someone mentioning pretty quick that it sounds like Spore, so I more or less came up with a reply already. :)

EDIT: Sorry the entire reply seems stilted and upset. I had a kitten diligently attempting to help me type so I had to focus on what I was saying.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Let me clarify what I said before: what I meant was that the game concept reminded me of the Cell and Creature Phases in Spore: gaining EP by battling (I had to resort to the Firefox spell checker, because I didn't know how to spell battling :cry:) and collecting collectibles, to make yourself bigger and better.

And, please, don't drop the concept for "guy levels up" ^^ While it is not completely original (still largely original, though), it's a nice idea, and by resorting to the standard "guy levels up" you'll have a much harder time making the actual game-play original.

Before Spore existed, I thought off one or two evolutionary, open-ended games. Unfortunately, I was still programming in BASIC at the time, so it never evolved past Concept Phase.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

I thought it sounded like Spore too, however, when I read the entire idea I realized it was going to be way more, and, even better, you don't get the boring stuff you get in Spore. So, basically, you have the best part of Spore, and improved it ^^
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Well I appreciate the votes of confidence. I'm still currently planning the actual layout of the scripting right now, so it might be awhile before FlyCatch turns into Evolutionary Tale. Hopefully, even if the graphics are awful, I can get a fully-functioning prototype running by month's end.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

http://love2d.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f ... 8343#p8343 -- Updated the "Future Specs" information to include a few other things I'm confident I can build in.