LetTownbuilder now with...

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
xmorg
Prole

LetTownbuilder now with...

Post by xmorg »

Hey,

My game is now taking shape,

Now with hunting(and accidents), more research and building options, animal proliferation, more ways to die, diseases,
rioters who cause cause fires and vandalize properties, good and bad weather and more. The Records button shows all villagers, their opinions, your resources, and food.

Also as catastrophes.lua begins to take shape there is a 1 in 1000 chance of an earthquake happening! your screen shakes and villagers panic. (house collapses coming soon!)

I am still compatible with both 0.9 and 0.8 although I have not tested 8 in a while. The version can be changed from the startup screen.

https://github.com/xmorg/letownbuilder/
norubal
Party member

Re: LetTownbuilder now with...

Post by norubal »

This project done a lot of progress since I saw this first.. Keep it work! :D
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

This is really cool™, alsas a bit confusing and a bit frustrating (apparently only one action can be done at the same time?).

I really wish I could zoom (or play at stretched resolution?) to see their faces :)

Video:

And how do I deal with fires?...

PS: tiny nagging - load bar/screen between pressing start and game start would be nice :)
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
xmorg
Prole

Post by xmorg »

Thanks for your comments!

I have actually played with the idea of attaching jobs and job timers to individual villagers to get rid of the 1 job at a time thing.

Fires cannot burn through cleared areas or water so the best way to deal with fires is the way modern firefighting works, make it all dirt around the fire. I am planning on adding some sort of research that deals with fires later. A measure of safty for bonfires is to clear all of the area around the bonfire.

I do want to add a load bar, as well as a biome selection screen after pressing game start.

I do have some push and pop code on another isometric project but i cant get the math right on the mouse/tile selection. The mouse is always wildly off...
xmorg
Prole

Post by xmorg »

been working all evening based on the recommendations.

There now is a job queue which will queue up jobs. You can now do multiple jobs at once so long as they are not the same type. One worker is needed for each job You can dig holes, cut trees, gather food and build houses all at once. jobs will stall if you don't have a worker who can do the job. Children cannot do specialized labor. This makes things a lot easier so i have reduced the amount of food from gathering by half.

You cant zoom yet, but you can go fullscreen with F2.

I want to add biome selection, and a loading screen. I also noticed from your attempts at hunting villagers, that some sort of highlighting halo is needed to point out villagers, animals and hostiles.
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

I seem to run into this error now:

Code: Select all

PANIC: unprotected error in call to Lua API (not enough memory)
Here is a video of gameplay until it freezes and then closes with above error message:

Randomly, the game looks like this on start:

both: git HEAD
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
xmorg
Prole

Post by xmorg »

AH! This is actually a second Japanese themed biome. This biome has different foraged food, new resources, like bamboo, and sakura, and different requirements for the buildings. Currently you are randomly chosen a biome, but as I add more biomes, I will add a biome selection option. Although there is stone here, a lot of buildings require bamboo in place of stone. Carrots are also replaced by "sansai" a type of Japanese mountain vegetable.

I'm looking for a solution to the out of memory error. IT first appeared when I added animal propagation. Looks like the crash is happening at 11am, around animal propagation time! thought it was fixed. I'm wondering if loading all assets into a single png, and loading at as one image and just rending quads will cut down on memory usage. Thoughts?
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

A texture atlas will certainly help.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
qubodup
Inner party member

Post by qubodup »

AH! This is actually a second Japanese themed biome.
The color made me think it was a display bug :)

Regarding texture atlases, stackoverflow answer are leaning in their direction and are kind of convincing although it'd be nice to read a simple explanation of the issue and why atlases seem to be able to help :) http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/questi ... erformance

The crash happened again when I tried playing it fullscreen. http://youtu.be/01U19NxOy7k I was recording using glc-capture.

I then tried reproducing the freeze-crash so I could record `top` to see when memory is starting to overfill by waiting but it didn't freeze or crash. I guess my game actions are related to it.

Do you want gameplay feedback (yet)? I imagine you might be aware of these but just in case:
- having tasks reset makes me have to move my eyes and cursor a lot to the top left to select the same action over and over. Very tiring. The action might as well stay active...
- the cursor doesn't indicate whether and what it's going to do next time I click.
- I can dig the same stop multiple times as long as I issue the orders while it's not dug yet. Same with other actions.

PS: if the crash is because of the game, I would assume that there's an infinite loop issue.
xmorg
Prole

Post by xmorg »

new git commit is up with my version of a tile atlas. I haven't had it crash yet but is should improve memory usage. It also eliminates a lot of if/then/else logic going on like if biome 1, render this tile, else render this tile. Warning! its not 0.8 compatible! i havn't looked into wrapping the draw and drawq functions, you would need drawq for 0.8 and draw for 0.9

edit, the crash might be related to rabbit breeding! rabbits should reproduce at a rate of 1-5 per day which may make lots of sprites... If you hunted everything to extinction, it might have made a much cleaner map...
Do you want gameplay feedback (yet)? I imagine you might be aware of these but just in case:
- having tasks reset makes me have to move my eyes and cursor a lot to the top left to select the same action over and over. Very tiring. The action might as well stay active...
- the cursor doesn't indicate whether and what it's going to do next time I click.
- I can dig the same stop multiple times as long as I issue the orders while it's not dug yet. Same with other actions.
Id love gameplay feedback!
1. this seems like the next logical step after job queues, you want to be able choose cut trees, then select here, here, and here, and have them all queue up, instead of selecting cut trees, every time.
2. Ive been thinking about creating icons for various jobs, move the icons along with the cursor, and place the icons in the selected tile, with a timer as the job progresses. -TODO
3. cheat = ban! Going back to item one, if a job can be performed on a tile multiple times, (like fishing), queue job again, else play an annoying beep and message "you cant do that!" - TODO