My project: Spiral Adventure

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
molul
Party member

Re: My project: Spiral Adventure

Post by molul »

Today I'll try both approachs (making it a separate button and keeping the jump button pressed). My main concern is that it feels unconfortable having to press and release jump quickly, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Antoher good thing if I map megajump to its own button (whatever it is), is that I could use up and down (W and S in the keyboard, or up/down arrow keys soon) for the camera up and down thing.

PS: 4:3 is obsolete! I understand that many people use it for their games just because they want them to look like the old 8-bit/16-bit classics, but for me it's as unneccessary as the low-res sprites (I don't mean I don't like them, of course). IMO, the classic platformers vibe can be updated without loosing its charm. Or at least that'swhat I try to do! lol
pk
Citizen

Post by pk »

molul wrote: PS: 4:3 is obsolete!
My Thinkpad tablet PC is only a few years old, and it's 4:3. :roll:
Also, my iPad, which is brand new, is 4:3. :ultrashocked:
And they both use the same screen resolution: 1024x768 :o

I like this game, but Mr. Spring disappears off the sides of mah screen.

This is something I've been trying to address with my game too. I don't think we are anywhere near the point where 4:3 is declared officially dead. And the problem is not just 4:3 vs 16:9, there are plenty of people out there who have computers with 16:10 and other funky but perfectly legit aspect ratios too.
ALL CREATURE WILL DIE AND ALL THE THINGS WILL BE BROKEN. THAT'S THE LAW OF SAMURAI.
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

pk wrote:
molul wrote: PS: 4:3 is obsolete!
My Thinkpad tablet PC is only a few years old, and it's 4:3. :roll:
Also, my iPad, which is brand new, is 4:3. :ultrashocked:
And they both use the same screen resolution: 1024x768 :o

I like this game, but Mr. Spring disappears off the sides of mah screen.

This is something I've been trying to address with my game too. I don't think we are anywhere near the point where 4:3 is declared officially dead. And the problem is not just 4:3 vs 16:9, there are plenty of people out there who have computers with 16:10 and other funky but perfectly legit aspect ratios too.
Well, I also don't go so far. 4:3 isn't obsolete or dead for games (or anything else) but I think it's always a good idea that in a 16:9/16:10 (or another Wide) environment a game detect it and use a panoramic view. In games like Molui's platform panoramic gameplay is a gift.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

Well, I exaggerated a bit. I meant I don't like using 4:3 just because "it's retro!".

I never thought of 4:3 and 16:10 screens for the game. I'll try to fix that.

@pk: your iPad will be obsolete very soon, when iPad 3 is released (just kidding) :ultrahappy:
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

molul wrote: @pk: your iPad will be obsolete very soon, when iPad 3 is released (just kidding) :ultrahappy:
Almost true, since Apple quickly turns "old" mobile gear releasing new upgrades to iOS that always have some hog-eating cpu/memory features to convince users to upgrade device. But I bet that will be releasing instead a iPad 2S. :)
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

Not sure if this has been posted already, but I felt like it was very unintuitive that the character doesn't feel like it builds up any vertical momentum when it jumps. It is, after all, a spring. You'd think that you'd be able to jump higher by timing your bounces.

The control scheme is also quite weird. I would have expected up (or w) to be jump, not k.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

nevon wrote:Not sure if this has been posted already, but I felt like it was very unintuitive that the character doesn't feel like it builds up any vertical momentum when it jumps. It is, after all, a spring. You'd think that you'd be able to jump higher by timing your bounces.
Interesting. It could be something like Mario's triple jump. It would be a cool addition as long as it doesn't make Megajump useless. Thanks for the idea!
nevon wrote:The control scheme is also quite weird. I would have expected up (or w) to be jump, not k.
Hmmm... I don't think it's weird at all. In most classic platformers (if not all of them) jump was a button, not "up" direction. Actually only in fighting games I remeber to be able to jump by pressing up. This approach would only make sense in keyboards, where you can press left, right, up and down at the same time, and since I plan on letting the user customize the keys, I don't think it's a big deal.

Also, I plan on using up and down to do camera-up and camera-down, which is more intuitive.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

molul wrote:
nevon wrote:The control scheme is also quite weird. I would have expected up (or w) to be jump, not k.
Hmmm... I don't think it's weird at all. In most classic platformers (if not all of them) jump was a button, not "up" direction. Actually only in fighting games I remeber to be able to jump by pressing up. This approach would only make sense in keyboards, where you can press left, right, up and down at the same time, and since I plan on letting the user customize the keys, I don't think it's a big deal.
When playing with a gamepad, it makes a lot more sense for jump to be its own button.
molul
Party member

Post by molul »

I've finally made megajump have its own key/button. I tried first using the same buttom as jump, but I felt I was losing some control, as I had to release the button to make a normal jump, which is not as immediate as just pressing a button (this was very noticeable in slopes; I fell most of the times). I might do it like this for a future iOS version but for me it makes no sense not to add one last key. On the bright side, up and down now moves the camera, so I've removed two buttons.

I've also implemented arrow keys for direction and z, x and c for jump, mega jump and spin. Now it feels better for me. If I fix a bug I've found I'll upload the current version and remove the previous I uploaded, so other people that test it have a better control.

[EDIT]
New version attached (spiral_alpha_0.21.love) in the OP. Now arrow keys are supported and Megajump has its own button. Please take a look to the Controls section to see what has changed :)
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

molul wrote: [EDIT]
New version attached (spiral_alpha_0.21.love) in the OP. Now arrow keys are supported and Megajump has its own button. Please take a look to the Controls section to see what has changed :)
It feels much more natural and less confusing. It's a pity you found that a single button don't works well, but at least now movement playability increased a lot. The other layout was a lot awkward.

I noticed carefully first phase of spin animation. Do you intend to show spiral as rotating around? If so for me "don't work". He looks that he is turning from left-right-left-right without never turn around. You should put between frames some images where his eyes aren't visible (as he was turned to other side).

Nice work, better now. :)