Square Invaders 1.2

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Dreanh
Prole

Square Invaders 1.2

Post by Dreanh »

Hello everyone, I just released my first game :awesome:

Square Invaders is a simple top-down shooter where the goal is to level up and get the highest possible score. The enemy rectangles and player size depends on HP, enemies with full HP can merge into a larger enemy. Level 20 is the max level, but the game never ends. You can also get upgrades by killing enemies like speed, boost, damage, shot size and gun speed, guns, xp, shield, hp regen & laser blast.

Download: http://gamejolt.com/games/shooter/squar ... ers/35673/
Attachments
SquareInvaders.love
Version 1.2
(7.62 MiB) Downloaded 258 times
Last edited by Dreanh on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:51 am, edited 19 times in total.
artofwork
Citizen

Re: Square Invaders

Post by artofwork »

Awesome game... I died right away :(

Edit: made it to level 2 but didn't see any crates
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

Thanks. Didn't think it was that hard in the beginning, but I have played it alot so.. I may make it easier.. Enemies drop loot randomly, about 1:15 drop chance. The "map" is quite big and the crates are randomly put somewhere on the "map" finding all will take a long time, you will see a small square with the same colors as the loot triangles.
artofwork
Citizen

Post by artofwork »

A mini-map / radar screen would be a nice addition, for a short while I was going in 1 direction and didn't see any enemies.

The changing of the background although cool kinda makes some things like text, enemies, the grid & player hard to see at times.

Edit: I'm terrible today, just noticed that can be shut off :P

Edit: Level 6! Woot!
Last edited by artofwork on Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

A minimap would be nice. I will think about how to do it, can't promise anything I'm not really an experienced programmer still a noob. :crazy:

EDIT: I have now updated the game, made it a bit easier and fixed some bugs. Haven't implemented minimap yet though.
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

I've decided to upload the .love file, I was a bit anxious about uploading it as the code is a mess, no comments and probably horribly implemented. I'm going to clean it up sometime and see what I can implement better, so if you are gonna look at please don't tell me how horrible it is, I know.

That being said if someone on other platforms than Windows, and got nothing better to do could make me some other distributions it would be much appreciated. :)
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

I've just tried the game.
Don't know how it was before, but right now it just seems way too easy.
I played for 8 Minutes without feeling hassled at all.
I'm also not sure if the HP HUD works as intended. In the end I had somethig like 10000/1000 HP and it didn't get lower when I hit squares.
After running in to squares a couple of time in a row though I died, so that works.

Anyway, I like it but it need some more tweaking.
More enemies, maybe enemies with differnent movement patterns.
Keep it up!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

Thanks for the feedback :) Yeah, it needs a lot tweaking, I thought it was to easy too, but wasn't sure. Will try to make different patterns for enemies and make it more challenging. However I can't seem to replicate the HP bug you are experiencing and haven't found anything yet in the code, it might be in the enemies table, Iv'e just learned tables and I think Iv'e done something stupid somewhere cause the health shouldn't be higher than 2000 in lvl 20.. I will look in to it and see what I can do.
Guard13007
Party member

Post by Guard13007 »

Dreanh wrote:That being said if someone on other platforms than Windows, and got nothing better to do could make me some other distributions it would be much appreciated. :)
Game Distribution is not that hard. The only part where it gets complicated at all is for Linux, but on Linux you can expect people to be smart enough for "1. Install Love2d (and link to main page). 2. Download this .love file. 3. Double click it."
Dreanh
Prole

Post by Dreanh »

I've just updated the game (v 1.0), it is now a lot better. Enemies now shoot at you which makes the game harder, added menu, highscore list and did some tweaking and balancing. Also there are no longer invisible walls, the "world" is now infinite. I've still not encountered the enemy health bug, so I don't really know what to do about it.

I'm currently planning on making a new game so I will work less on this game from now on, but I will keep fixing bugs.
Guard13007 wrote: Game Distribution is not that hard. The only part where it gets complicated at all is for Linux, but on Linux you can expect people to be smart enough for "1. Install Love2d (and link to main page). 2. Download this .love file. 3. Double click it."
I might download kubuntu again and try to make it myself, I want it to be easy for people who download just click and play, but thanks for the feedback. :)