Margrets Runaway (LD48)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
dandruff
Prole

Re: Margrets Runaway (LD48)

Post by dandruff »

A small update on the game.
Difficultysettings is added so that you can play the game as you please. I also fixed the info-boxes so that they dont cover the objects you hoover with the mouse. Lastly I made the HUD go transparent when you have your mouse over it.
This is just a small update of many to come (I hope).

Btw... this is written for 0.8.0

This on the todo list:
-Tutorial
-Better recipes
-Redrawn graphics
-Placeable objects
-Dungeons
-Fixing

[EDIT] Aaaaand I found a lame bug in the scoring that I temp-fixed [/EDIT]
Attachments
margrun-0_1_2b.love
v. 0.1.2b
(472.1 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Neat. I like the improvements, and the menu.

One annoying thing: the sound when you don't find anything. It's worse because you can't affect the outcome. Please find a less annoying sound or disable the sound for not finding anything completely.

Another thing is that combining items is not obvious. That's not a bad thing, but it leads to the need to experiment a lot. Only the combing thing is not really user friendly: first you have to click on the box, select two items (with small hitboxes, which makes things worse) and click a button. I'm sure there are ways to make it less of a chore.

I miss a way to return to the menu.

Finally, it's a bit hard to cross screens. This could be improved by using love.mouse.setGrab
Last edited by Robin on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

I like this kid of graphics, please don't change it or at least make both old and new available
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
coffee
Party member

Post by coffee »

dandruff wrote: Btw... this is written for 0.8.0
[EDIT] Aaaaand I found a lame bug in the scoring that I temp-fixed [/EDIT]
0.8.0 :/

I only have 0.7.2 but no error at start. More or less things run. No sound, the main menu that is draw over the title and the text in bubbles also dislocated. The rest seems work. Quit give an error. I don't know if it' because I only have 0.7.2 but when time elapsed game don't over.

But new version seems positive but really can't play it with pleasure (until 2012 comes right?). Sadly didn't found any dungeon yet.
Karn
Prole

Post by Karn »

It seems pointless to say this because of the speed at we lose life , and the yellow thing (it's a little fast, in my oppinion) but for the same reason, it would be cool to have some kind of major visual reminder that time is running out, maybe day/night cycles. Also, the graphics are indeed very nice.
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

I like your game and got pretty close to beating it. I ended up getting two of the three artifact pieces but eventually I got tired of having to spend so much time eating berries. Could you make it to where you instantly eat food if it wouldn't fill you all the way up?
dandruff
Prole

Post by dandruff »

Robin wrote:One annoying thing: the sound when you don't find anything. It's worse because you can't affect the outcome. Please find a less annoying sound or disable the sound for not finding anything completely.
Yes, the sounds are horrible at this point. I might just disable them all together until I find time to actually get it right. But I'm 100% with you
Robin wrote: Another thing is that combining items is not obvious. That's not a bad thing, but it leads to the need to experiment a lot. Only the combing thing is not really user friendly: first you have to click on the box, select two items (with small hitboxes, which makes things worse) and click a button. I'm sure there are ways to make it less of a chore.
The inventory/craft menu isn't optimal yet. And the points that you make are good ones. I am working on a better system, but have a hard time figuring out a good way to do it that doesn't break the way I want the game to be played. For instance, I don't want the keyboard to be used (This might change later, but until it's really necessary I try to just use the mouse).
Robin wrote: I miss a way to return to the menu.
Amen to that!
Robin wrote: Finally, it's a bit hard to cross screens. This could be improved by using love.mouse.setGrab
Thanks! Didn't think of that!
Karn wrote:It seems pointless to say this because of the speed at we lose life , and the yellow thing (it's a little fast, in my oppinion) but for the same reason, it would be cool to have some kind of major visual reminder that time is running out, maybe day/night cycles.
Maybe if the UI started to pulse when you are running low on stamina? (The drop-speed is slower on easy)
I have been toying with the idea of day/night cycles but havn't found a way to implement it that I like yet.
Kadoba wrote:I ended up getting two of the three artifact pieces but eventually I got tired of having to spend so much time eating berries. Could you make it to where you instantly eat food if it wouldn't fill you all the way up?
My solution would be to put a dedicated button in the UI for "auto-eat" that feeds you a piece of food from your inventory (prioritize the types that gives more stamina back?). Would that be a good solution? That way, you are able to bypass the inventory menu when eating
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

dandruff wrote:My solution would be to put a dedicated button in the UI for "auto-eat" that feeds you a piece of food from your inventory (prioritize the types that gives more stamina back?). Would that be a good solution? That way, you are able to bypass the inventory menu when eating
Yeah, that sounds great!
ivan
Party member

Post by ivan »

Noticed this a while ago, I have to say I love the art style and the feel of the game.
Very retro yet fresh at the same time.
Hope you keep working on the project because I see a lot of potential here.