The Binding of Crate Box

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: The Binding of Crate Box

Post by qubodup »

so weird having to use dpad. no idea how i bought that thing and why i didn't by the other. or what the things are. oh well :)

http://youtu.be/8Adt-cxwrao
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

No, it doesn't, as each time you reach the final room you unlock some things but it also becomes more difficult.
I'd want some feedback from players now: I feel like long-range weapons are boring, since (as someone already said) you can just find a safe spot and stand there, shooting until things get too near, then jumping and avoiding them. What do you think about them?
I also thought that maybe I could add a local multiplayer mode (just two players), increasing enemies' health and number by 50% if another player joins, but then I would be unsure about how to make controls work; who gets the keyboard? Who gets the controller? Should they both get the controller?
My current idea is this: in the first room, controls change easily. If there's only a keyboard connected, there is one single player. If there's a keyboard AND a gamepad, there's still one player, but the second one can be toggled pressing back/select on the gamepad. If two gamepads are connected, one of them controls the first player, also controlled by the keyboard, and the other one controls the second player. In this phase, detaching and reattaching controllers in a different order still allows you to change which controller controls which player; but as soon as you start the first level each controller is bound to that player for the whole game, even if you unplug them both. Unplugging a controller automatically pauses the game. What do you think about this?

@qubodup: you have to hold down "down" to buy things. This is a safety measure I added to prevent accidental purchases, but I never actually documented it. Sorry ^^'
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

so had a go at this. Really REALLY love it!
I enjoy swapping out my attack type each new game. Discovered fireball and kiting with fire spreader was scary but worked, "michael bay rocks" are awsome.

My two gripes are :

1. The inability to backpedal-shoot, Often turning to shoot and run more then turn and shoot is not a good idea unless you have more speed.. is this inability to move while shooting backwards (even at a cost of say speed or accuracy etc) an intended feature?

2. Buying items was annoying, since id purchase the first thing to touch my character. Im pretty sure there was a safety system involved? So-far ive had to shoot the items around until ive separated the right one while not taking the wrong one by accident...

A friend (or two) will be trying out the game aswell at some point. Ill relay the thoughts in the future.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

1) I don't know! We should wait for adnzzzzZ since this game was originally his; I thought about adding that too, but it does require a bit of skill or at least fast fingers to shoot behind yourself without slowing down much, so I will probably leave it this way, not to mention it would make the controls more complicated and awkward.
2) Are you sure about that? I was quite sure I added in a safety system, meaning you should hold down before touching an item or you won't buy it; it works on my system, are you using a controller? On what OS?
Also, are you sure you got the latest build (which is, one of the downloadable .love files or the github repo)? I found some bugs within that and other features I added and rapidly corrected them, but the buggy release has been up for a while anyway
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
ArchAngel075
Party member

Post by ArchAngel075 »

I had no idea you made changes haha, i must have an older version since im using the windows exec from first page. ill redownload from github tomorrow after a nice long sleep.
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Be sure to install LÖVE though, as I can't provide an .exe until after my nice long sleep, which starts in a while and will end in 10 hours.
Should I maybe create a new topic for this, to avoid confusion?
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
BozoDel
Party member

Post by BozoDel »

This game is quite addictive. I played it through about a month or two ago, for the third time. It's still not quite good, because of the easy win strategies, but I just wanted so say I'd like to see it evolve. Sorry for not providing some more useful input.
Kasperelo
Party member

Post by Kasperelo »

Wow, really cool game!