The Binding of Crate Box

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Re: The Binding of Crate Box

Post by adnzzzzZ »

I've updated the game again:
  • The game should now be considerably more accessible. Those of you who've tried it and couldn't get too far, please try it again and tell me if the difficulty is better now.
  • Rebalanced some weapons
  • Fixed a bug where you would continually jump after using a bomb
  • Added left shift as an alternative for dashing
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

I was thinking what you could do is a/d + lshift to sprint, but this works too.
I GOT TO THE FINAL LEVEL! x 2
When you unlock the playboy, billionaire, etc., it goes off the screen (I got it my second time through, but it might be random)
BTW I didn't like the end music because it didn't fit with the rest of music.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
Rickton
Party member

Post by Rickton »

I like the shift-dash, thanks for adding it.
The fireball now seems worthwhile as a starting weapon...though I also realized it's slightly pointless to have random starting weapons since someone could just restart until they got the one they want.
I preferred the earlier difficulty, but I like games like this to be pretty hard, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

At first, the music worked fine. I realized it isn't the music, or even the music switching that causes the slowdown for me. The problem is that sometimes when it switches it spins through every music track over and over and never picks one (so I guess it's continuously loading all the tracks maybe?), and that's when it slows down to unusability.
Possession - Escape from the Nether Regions, my roguelike made in LÖVE for the 2013 7-Day Roguelike Challenge
And its sequel, simply called Possession , which is available on itch.io or Steam, and whose engine I've open-sourced!
RedHot
Citizen

Post by RedHot »

Now I managed to get to the final staged the first 2 times in a row. I'd call that an easy mode, still a good job on balancing.

Would you consider combining items? This way it would be more and more entertaining. Some of it could be a secret.
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

RedHot wrote:Now I managed to get to the final staged the first 2 times in a row. I'd call that an easy mode, still a good job on balancing.

Would you consider combining items? This way it would be more and more entertaining. Some of it could be a secret.
+1.
Difficulty levels and combining items.
I was also thinking about some items if you want some ideas...
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

RedHot wrote:Now I managed to get to the final staged the first 2 times in a row. I'd call that an easy mode, still a good job on balancing.

If you mean crafting then no, I'm not adding it. I was gonna add some items that took one (or more) of your passives and gave you another one (or more) in return, but it's a lot of extra work (need to add an undo step for every passive) and so I didn't get to it.

Also, I've updated the game yet again:
  • You now can choose your starting weapon again.
  • The game is a bit harder now and scales with how many times you've finished it. Hopefully this is accessible enough but also challenging!
  • Decreased gold drop rate at later levels
  • Increased chance of enemies getting angry when they pass the bottom of the screen at later levels
adnzzzzZ
Party member

Post by adnzzzzZ »

Downloads:
Windows .zip
Windows .zip
.love (0.8)
.love (0.8)

I've updated a "final" version of this game and I'm done updating it now. You can also check the game's code here: https://github.com/adonaac/zytokine, although I don't think there's much to be learned from that... :(

I found an artist and we'll work on a similar game to this one (using it loosely as a base). The artist's art style looks like this:
PI4Ay6J.png
PI4Ay6J.png (57.68 KiB) Viewed 219 times
I guess I'll use this thread as a devlog/feedback thingy as we develop the game further, so if you happen to be around please help with some juicy feedback! If you don't wanna help then, well, this is all I can do for you.
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

Really fun and challenging game! I love that art style! Hope you succeed in make your new game!
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
Helvecta
Party member

Post by Helvecta »

Welp there went three hours.

I was really excited to see the complete game (I saw a WIP post on the "what are you working on?" thread) and I was not disappointed! Friggin addicting :ehem:

Well done! :awesome:
"Bump." -CMFIend420
LuaWeaver
Party member

Post by LuaWeaver »

Woah. Impressive.
I'd suggest things, but you're done with it. :(
"your actions cause me to infer your ego is the size of three houses" -finley