Aeternum Blammo

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Re: Aeternum Blammo

Post by josefnpat »

bananpermobil wrote:I just sat and played this game for 40 minutes, several times just thinking I might be able to survive just a little longer this time. I guess this project didn't make it off the ground, for which I'm a little bit sad. I think it has great potential for being a true procrastination device.
I've actually gotten quite a bit of good feedback for this game from other folks whom i've showed this game to. I would expand on this, but the codebase is so messy (being my first love game and all) that I need to start from scratch. To be perfectly honest, I've been thinking of making Aeternum Blammo II and starting from the ground up.
Codex wrote:haha, cool game, though it really needs a pause button. ;)
If you push escape, it will bring you to a "paused" state. :)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
JesseH
Prole

Post by JesseH »

I played this a while back for a good bit of an hour. Very fun game, simple design, and fun to play around and mod it. *claps*
Bring us Aeternum Blammo II! :nyu:
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

Cool game. I love it.

Here is one thing you might consider a bug: When I keep the mouse at a position and fly towards it and reach this point, the ship jumps back and forth. Maybe you want to disable movement when the ship is closer than one pixel to the cursor.

And here are some suggestions concerning the game design. These are just suggestions. If you disagree, feel free to ignore them.
- It might be easier to read the numbers on the right side, if you drew them all as a bar chart. Maybe you can find some pictograms for the different properties like "speed" and "fire rate" and then draw small bars below these pictograms. I believe small pictures are easier to perceive than numbers and text.
- The "health" is so important, that you might want to draw it right by the ship, similar to the health bar of the enemies.
- How about some limited time weapon power ups? For example a shotgun power up that makes the ship fire three bullets instead of one, but only for a limited time.
- As it is now, the game always ends when the player dies. That is straight forward, but in my opinion a bit disappointing. Maybe you can add some sort of level or wave system, so that the player gets some positive feedback and the feeling he has won something. It is also really rewarding if after a really hard wave there is a moment of rest before the next wave enters (also the player can collect all the power ups in that time).
- I'd very much appreciate a high score table in the end, when I die.

Don't understand that as negative feedback. The game is addictive as it is.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi all,

Just discovered LÖVE, groked a few tutos and explored the existing games. I was very disappointed when AE wouldn't run, I feel I would like this game ^-^

Code: Select all

This game indicates it was made for version '0.9.2' of LOVE.
It may not be compatible with the running version (0.10.2).
Error: main.lua:281: bad argument #1 to 'isDown' (number expected, got string)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'isDown'
	main.lua:281: in function 'update'
	[string "boot.lua"]:464: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:436>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Now I have to really get into the engine and for that, I feel like I'll begin with upgrading it to current LÖVE version (0.10.2) for a start.

@josefnpat : is it OK if I do that and give you my feedback ?
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Hoshikaze 2250, Sci-Fi universe in collaborative writing
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Mutos wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:14 am Hi all,

Just discovered LÖVE, groked a few tutos and explored the existing games. I was very disappointed when AE wouldn't run, I feel I would like this game ^-^

Code: Select all

This game indicates it was made for version '0.9.2' of LOVE.
It may not be compatible with the running version (0.10.2).
Error: main.lua:281: bad argument #1 to 'isDown' (number expected, got string)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'isDown'
	main.lua:281: in function 'update'
	[string "boot.lua"]:464: in function <[string "boot.lua"]:436>
	[C]: in function 'xpcall'
Now I have to really get into the engine and for that, I feel like I'll begin with upgrading it to current LÖVE version (0.10.2) for a start.

@josefnpat : is it OK if I do that and give you my feedback ?
I doubt that he would mind; however, with all due respect, considering that he wrote this 6 years ago and has come a long way since (to say the least, he is one of the best coders we have here now :)). I don't think that he is holding his breath over getting feedback on the code.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi Jeeper, hi all,

OK, forgot to check the date on the posts, just checked josefnpat's last connection date, blame it on enthusiasm ^-^

The fix was simple : only string mouse indices are not permitted any more. I was expecting several other errors to follow, but there was none.

Btw, it allowed me to see an actual code and I'll look at the Games page to get other codes and see what's inside, that's how I learn ^-^
Last edited by Mutos on Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
Jeeper
Party member

Post by Jeeper »

Mutos wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:33 am Hi all,

OK, forgot to check the date on the posts, just checked josefnpat's last connection date ^-^

The fix was simple : only string mouse indices are not permitted any more. I was expecting several other errors to follow, but there was none.

Btw, it allowed me to see an actual code and I'll look at the Games page to get other codes and see what's inside, that's how I learn ^-^
That's a great way to learn, good luck! :)

You can always have a look at one of the projects I have worked on over here: https://windmillgames.itch.io/ All of them (except Luminosity) can be downloaded as a .love, allowing you to peak inside the code.
Mutos
Prole

Post by Mutos »

Hi Jeeper,

Thanks, I'll go and see ! The more games I see, the more chances I'll get to fully grok the engine and be able to do what I intend, which is a kind of EV-like. For now I'm still getting the feel of the simplest functions and marvelling at the simplicity of using LÖVE.
Benoît 'Mutos' Robin
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Hey! On my phone right now.

I'm always on GitHub and Twitter!

Here's the repo; let's talk there!

https://github.com/josefnpat/Aeternum-Blammo
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.