Portal 2D (tech demo)

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
The Doctor
Prole

Re: Portal 2D (tech demo)

Post by The Doctor »

You're seriously thinking with portals! :awesome: This has got potential!
ljdp
Party member

Post by ljdp »

The Doctor wrote:You're seriously thinking with portals! :awesome: This has got potential!
I'm surprised at how simple it was to implement, but I must thank vrld for implementing stencils, I wouldn't have a clue when it comes to talking directly to openGL so I can't imagine how valve did all this in 3d. It should also be possible now to do the portal-within-a-portal effect, brb going to find my thinking cap.

Edit: Ok I take back it being simple to implement, recursion is making me go crosseyed. :death:
I can get recursive portals to work if the angle of both are 0, as soon as they're any other angle they refuse to line up.
Lexsym
Prole

Post by Lexsym »

valve created a camera object, and projected it onto the "portal" and the camera's angles were set to that of the player's. In simplicity :P
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

Lexsym wrote:valve created a camera object, and projected it onto the "portal" and the camera's angles were set to that of the player's. In simplicity :P
wouldn't it be better if they changed the 3D engine so, when a ray hitted a portal it will change position and direction?
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

No, because Portal (like all games) isn't rendered via raytracing...
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

hmm.
ljdp
Party member

Post by ljdp »

Taehl wrote:No, because Portal (like all games) isn't rendered via raytracing...
Surely raytracing must happen at some point low level, in the graphics card?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Nope. In fact, raytracing is never used in games, because it is too slow, it provides amazing detail, but can't be done realtime.
GijsB
Party member

Post by GijsB »

bartbes wrote:Nope. In fact, raytracing is never used in games, because it is too slow, it provides amazing detail, but can't be done realtime.
And there you're wrong, search it up ;)

Edit : As you can see here ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfxI1cVOzU (IN 2007!!)
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

GijsB wrote:
bartbes wrote:Nope. In fact, raytracing is never used in games, because it is too slow, it provides amazing detail, but can't be done realtime.
And there you're wrong, search it up ;)

Edit : As you can see here ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blfxI1cVOzU (IN 2007!!)
That's a demonstration, not an actual game. It can be done realtime, but realistically right now you can't do raytracing plus everything else that a game needs to do at the same time (unless you want to make a game that only $2000+ computers can run).