Clone of the best puzzle game, Tetris Attack

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
sharpobject
Prole

Clone of the best puzzle game, Tetris Attack

Post by sharpobject »

This is a very accurate clone of Tetris Attack based on Brandon Lockaby's V3PdP engine. It works in a minimal sense and has pretty good netplay. I'm running public servers at the moment, so if you have someone to play with you can try that out. If you do, I should mention that I haven't put any effort into things other than gameplay yet, so everything but the play areas is ugly. Sorry about that.

I eventually want to build this into a feature-complete clone of the US SNES version of the game, with a config file that can be modified to turn various bugs or features on or off (for instance the 32-combo bug from the JP SNES version, the bug where garbage sometimes waits a frame to fall, GameCube or NDS scoring modes). It's a long way from here to there, though. Right now endless is the only mode and there is only one speed. Modes other than vs and puzzle will be trivial to make, but I really want to use this to play vs mode so I'll probably make that before anything else.
  • Controls
    Arrow keys - move cursor
    Z - swap panels
    X - raise the stack
https://github.com/sharpobject/panel-attack
Attachments
panel-attack.love
(101.93 KiB) Downloaded 392 times
Last edited by sharpobject on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
zac352
Party member

Re: Clone of the best puzzle game, Tetris Attack

Post by zac352 »

I believe that the reason half of my screen is white is because of PO2 syndrome. Fix please? D:>
Hello, I am not dead.
sharpobject
Prole

Post by sharpobject »

That seems likely. Most of the assets are PO2-compliant by pure luck, but "most" isn't "all." Unfortunately I'm headed to work, so the fix will come at least 11 hours from now.
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

This looks very nice so far. I think the blocks aren't supposed to clear or fall that fast, though.

Also, how many people are on the public servers?
EmmanuelOga
Citizen

Post by EmmanuelOga »

Nice! (although I wonder why this gane is called a postfix of Tetris, it is nothing like Tetris :joker: )

EDIT: this game should probably be called Panel de Pon :). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panel_de_Pon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://EmmanuelOga.com
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

EmmanuelOga wrote:I wonder why this gane is called a postfix of Tetris, it is nothing like Tetris :joker:
I thought it was called that way because in the time it was originally made, Tetris was hugely popular and they wanted Tetris Attack to have a bit of the same success.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

Robin wrote:
EmmanuelOga wrote:I wonder why this gane is called a postfix of Tetris, it is nothing like Tetris :joker:
I thought it was called that way because in the time it was originally made, Tetris was hugely popular and they wanted Tetris Attack to have a bit of the same success.
Pretty sure tetris was named tetris because all the pieces were made of four blocks.
I guess this has nothing to do with this game. :|
Hello, I am not dead.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Exactly.
Wikipedia on Tetris wrote:He derived its name from the Greek numerical prefix tetra- (all of the game's pieces, known as Tetrominoes, contain four segments) and tennis, Pajitnov's favorite sport.
Wikipedia on Tetris Attack wrote:Despite using the Tetris name, this game bears almost no resemblance to its Russian namesake. This has led Henk Rogers of The Tetris Company to remark that he regrets granting permission to Nintendo to use the name.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
sharpobject
Prole

Post by sharpobject »

Updated github and OP with Robin's fix for PO2 syndrome.
Tesselode wrote:This looks very nice so far. I think the blocks aren't supposed to clear or fall that fast, though.
This varies based on difficulty or speed or both (I haven't checked). I'm currently using hard-coded constants from V3PdP, so I'm not sure exactly what speed/difficulty the game is stuck on, but it certainly is between the fastest and slowest available in the SNES game. The speed at which the stack rises might be slower than the slowest available in the SNES game though.

Also, the game currently assumes 60fps but makes no effort to enforce 60fps if it's getting no vertical blanks or vertical blanks at a rate other than 60fps. It's possible that it is running much faster it should be. I will fix this sometime.
Tesselode wrote:Also, how many people are on the public servers?
My server's logging is embarrassingly lacking right now, but it looks like nobody has successfully been paired on the public servers.
EmmanuelOga wrote:Nice! (although I wonder why this gane is called a postfix of Tetris, it is nothing like Tetris :joker: )

EDIT: this game should probably be called Panel de Pon :). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panel_de_Pon
It was more or less arbitrary. I figured Tetris Attack might get more recognition from this audience than Panel de Pon.
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

The game was fun but after playing it for 10 mins and the game did not get any harder but its nice change, would you be releasing the server side of this also?
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.